12: Goodbye Hello

Asia, Queen in her youth, and Asia's outfit to the side.

Play the song in the mm.
________________________

"And I'll take with me the memories, to be my sunshine after the rain. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday."

-Boyz 2 Men

Asia

I fingered the silver M chain that was around my neck. Makai had gotten it as my birthday present on my 20th.

He was probably the only person that would give somebody a chain with his initial for their birthday.

His silly antics were something that I would truly miss.

"You ready, baby," Dwayne came into my room, buttoning up his blue shirt.

Makai's favorite color was blue so it was only right that that was the main color of his funeral.

Funeral.

Every time I think, see, or say that word, I get chills. I think Birthday Party or wedding would've been more appropriate, but things didn't go that way.

I secured the gun that was on my thigh before nodding my head, causing my hair to move into my face.

It was the day of Makai's funeral and I was ready to pass out.

Not because I was putting my brother to rest, but because it could possibly be the day that I took my last breath.

After the funeral, King was hosting a Mother's Day brunch at his house.

What kind of shit it that?

I haven't spoken to him, but I'm sure he understood how pissed I was when he saw Jada's face.

All I can do is expect the worse, and hope for the best.

*

There was a woman at the funeral. She had on a black veil and I could barely see her face. She was sitting on the third row, and making me more and more nervous than I already was.

"Makai was..."

That was the fifth speech that one of the guests gave, just flabbergasting to make the Carter family seem as though we were all put together, when we were not.

I'm sure that we were one of the most dysfunctional groups of people existing.

I wouldn't be surprised if he payed them to come because I'd never seen this family in any of the 5 years that is been in Atlanta.

"My baby!" Makai's mom was really making me more sad and pissing me off with her dramatics. She'd been hooping and hollering the whole service, knowing damn well she didn't give a care in the world about my brother.

Obviously, I wasn't the only one who knew about her antics because no one was really paying her any mind.

And then, when she found out about Makai leaving everything to me, she tried to jump fly.

Un uh, Shawty. That's what we not gone do.

I had to hem her ass up one good time and she moved far away from me.

"You aight, baby," Dwayne asked after wrapping his arm around my body and pulling me to him. I laid my head on his chest and wrapped my arms around his waist.

"I'm not," I spoke honestly, as they closed and locked Makai's casket and placed the blue and white floral spray on top.

My eyes began to burn as it finally hit me.