2: FAMILIAR

"That girl look familiar..."

-TY $

Asia

"They waitin on you." I took another sip of my soda before closing the bottle, putting it in my duffle bag, and glancing back into the mirror at my vanity to check my black bikini.

I don't take off my clothes. I just give lap dances, dance on the pole , and show off my flexibility. The least I can do is try to keep some of my dignity since I'm already working at a strip club.

I slipped off my socks and fixed my now straightened hair. I usually go barefoot when I'm working alone. Plus those plastic heels get aggravating after so long.

I got up from the vanity after slipping the money I had already earned into the false bottom of my bag.

Giving myself one last look over I applied another layer of red velvet lipstick and put on more deodorant.

Can't be smelling like badussy.

*

Walking into my personal room was always the hardest.

Seeing that gold plated sign on the right side of the door that read Angel really made me wonder every time I entered this room.

Was this permanent for me?

Or would I amount to something better in due time?

There were only 4 people in here. They looked like they were from somewhere that's not this side of Houston, TX.

You know how you never see the cute dudes from Twitter near where you live?

Yeah, that's what was happening.

I glanced around the dark room. It had a floor-to-ceiling pole, a bar, fancy couches, and strobe lights everywhere.

There was this one guy in particular who was staring at me like he knew me.

I walked over to the pole an began my newest routine to the song Just the Motion by Drake and Sampha.This is my third time doing this routine, but I didn't mind because of the acro, slow movement, and the song.

I climbed all the way to the top of the pole, sliding down while my body was wrapped around it and then turning upright so that I would land in a split.

The song was saying something to me. I mean, my mom comes and goes and I just fall in place somewhere, making ends meet for myslef. It's just the motion. I can't do anything about it.

By the time I was finished with the song , another one came on and I had already memorized a routine to this one.

It's just the motion, like I've said before.

*

"You done for the night?" Trina asked, looking at me through the mirror of the vanity.

I nodded and put the rest of my money in my bag. I had 1,971 after giving many, many dances. But that's how it always is on a normal night.

Trina was a seventeen year old mother. Her 1 year old son Tremaine was all she had and she needed to provide for him since his dad wouldn't.

"Tell T that I said hey." I said referring to her son before giving her a hug and walking out the back door.

*

When I turned the corner I noticed the same dudes from my private room standing outside of a Rolls Royce. Another thing , we do not drive those over on this side of Houston. The most you gonna get is a Tahoe or a Cadillac.

I wasn't trying to catch their attention so I walked closer to the wall.

And then I tripped over a brick. Like what the fuck , a brick?

"Nick, there's ya girl." I looked over at them, mugged, and then continued to walk the long distance to get out if the parking lot.

Just so turns out, Nick was the boy that was looking at me funny. And what do they mean by your girl? I don't know him, and he is not my type. Too light.

I could hear footsteps getting closer to me, but I was just trying to get out of here and back home. He could be a killer .

" What do you want?" I asked this Nick guy after he grabbed me and refused to let me go after my many pleads.

"Tell me your name." If he wasn't holding my hands down, I would've punched him again.

"Why?" His grip got a little bit tighter like I was pissing him off.

Did I care? No. But I was getting ready to deck him in the face if he didn't let go of my arm.

"You're pissing me off."

"I know."

"Just tell me ya name."

"You gonna let me go-"

He dropped my arm and ran his hand over his face.

"Okay, okay... My name is Asia -"

His eyes lit up and he walked closer to me. "Asia Carter?"

I nodded slowly, taking two steps back.

He looked happy and disappointed at the same time. This boy weird.

"Okay, I'm leaving now," I announced throughout the semi-silence

Before he could protest, I took off full speed towards my building with him calling after me.

*

I collapsed on my bed- well mattress, after taking another shower. The clock on the side of me showed 3:47.

I cut off the lamp and closed my eyes letting sleep take over; wondering why Nick was so interested in learning my name.