27.

CARMELITA'S POV

It's funny how things change in a split second and there is no way you can control it.

It can be life-changing in that second and it can be for the good or for the bad.

But in this case, it is definitely gone for the bad.

"Carmelita! Breathe!" Sophia cries out but I can't between the uncontrollable cries that come out of me as I am lying on the floor with my head buried in her lap, hyperventilating and sobbing hysterically.

It never was supposed to turn out this way and there is nothing else that hurt more than this. For the first time in four years – this is real pain I am suffering.

And nothing will ever come close to this.

All I am asking is – How and why?

Why out of anyone else has to be me that have to suffer like this?

February, the twenty-third.

The day before my twentieth birthday. My last day of being a teenager before I join the group of twenty-year olds.

I am lying if I say that I am not excited for my birthday tomorrow because I love celebrating birthdays and of course my own now that I am finally catching up to my friends.

There still is an age gap between all of us but finally I am in the twenties and that makes me nothing more than ecstatic.

And what is the best way to spend my last day being the only teen in the whole gansterism shít than spending it with my closest friends at spa, relaxing.

This day couldn't get any better.

As planned, I leave the house at seven to pick Sophia up who is very wide-awake at this hour of the morning.

"Morning Carmi!" She gushes once she gets inside the car, sitting in the backseat. "A very good morning to you Sophia. Someone seems a bit too excited for today's adventure."

"Between you and me, I have never been so excited to get out of that damn house, away from Liam for once and I am finally going to a place two hours away from here. Don't you agree?"

"Definitely! I am so glad that everyone has allowed us to go alone to Palm Springs to have a pamper day just before my birthday." I chuckle as I make our way to pick up Jade from her place.

"Also, this is the very first time I am going to have a spa day so this is a bit exciting to me yet overwhelming." She admits quietly making me gasp.

"No way! You never had a spa day in your life?! Chicka, you are in for a treat for sure!" I say exasperatedly.

"I hear so from Jade. She called the house this morning at six-thirty to tell me the whole La Quinta experience." She chuckles.

At this early hour of the morning, nothing puts me in a good mood than someone who is also in a good mood.

Thank you Dios for making this day a pleasant one so far.

"Jade loves that spa. If she could drive there every day of her life, I am sure she would." Once again I chuckle. This time Sophia joins with me.

"You can say that again."

"One rule when we get to the spa, we only talk Spanish. You'll be surprised by how nosy the workers are."