6.

CARMELITA'S POV

Beep. Beep. Beep.

My eyes flutter open slowly, trying to adapt to the bright white light that blinds me.

Looking around, I see myself lying in a hospital bed and in the far corner; the doctor is talking to the nurse quietly.

"She was very lucky." I hear the male doctor says in disbelief and the nurse nods. Once they turn around to face me, they both look at me with pity.

"Mrs Malik. How are you feeling?" "I feel fuzzy but I am okay." I murmur and the doctor nods. The female nurse whispers to the doctor and then walks out.

"I am Doctor Porter. I have to say that Mrs Malik, you are very lucky to be here right now."

"What happened to me? Why was I bleeding?"

"You were bleeding because of your pregnancy that went wrong. You had a miscarriage and-"

What?

"Hold on. What do you mean pregnancy that went wrong? I wasn't pregnant." I say flatly and the doctor raises his eyes in confusion.

"You didn't know you were pregnant ma'am?" Shaking my head, the doctor sighs and takes a seat in front of me.

"No pregnancy symptoms like vomiting, heavy eating, fatigue, mood swings?"

"Absolutely nothing." I whisper, looking down onto my lap.

"I am sorry ma'am but you were pregnant and the main reason why you had a miscarriage was because of the type of pregnancy you had. You had an ectopic pregnancy. That's when the egg grows outside the womb, usually on the fallopian tubes but in your case, your fallopian tube became ruptured.

When it ruptures, you bleed internally and that is very dangerous and can be fatal. You lost quite a bit of blood and the time you came, your body went into shock but luckily we were able to save you. If you had to wait a couple of minutes longer, you wouldn't have made it.

I can't believe anything the doctor is saying right now.

I was pregnant and I almost died because of it.

"But besides that, you weren't looking after yourself in a healthy way. We picked up heavy amounts of caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and that's not very healthy for a baby. You were also taking birth control pills and that is very dangerous to the baby, so in future don't take birth control when you pregnant."

"The day before, I was having terrible cramps and I fainted after I threw up. Why is that so?"

"Ma'am, that's symptoms for an ectopic pregnancy. Immediately, you should have come here to avoid the whole tragic mishap. You can get pregnant again without any issues next time if you are wondering." I slowly nod my head and I pierce my lips together.

That never going to happen.

"How far was I?"

"Just under four weeks. I am sorry for your loss ma'am. We will be keeping you for an extra day to monitor your condition but you will be perfectly fine. Just maybe cut down on your lifestyle and try to pick up signs of pregnancy if you ever get pregnant again.

If you need counselling, let me know and I can gladly arrange that for you. It's just a matter of time till you can start trying for another baby with your husband." He says reassuringly.

Like that is going to happen.

"Thank you doctor." I whisper and he nods.

"Do you want me to call your husband in?" "No thank you."