Chapter Thirty-Six - My Date with Cole

Start from the beginning

I marveled silently, impressed.

“Let’s go!” Jayden and Cole chorused in unison, punching their fists in the air simultaneously. I chuckled softly and shook my head at their childishness.

~*~*~

When Cole swerved his car into an empty parking lot right in front of a costume shop, I knew that something terribly wrong was going to happen.

“No no no no noooooo way I’m wearing that.” I objected strongly, swatting Cole away from me like he was a pesky fly. Now I thought he was.

And yes, something terribly terribly wrong happened.

“But you’ll look cute in it!” Cole nodded his head vigorously, pushing the clown costume towards me.

“There’s no way I’m wearing that!” I shrieked, stomping off.

“But—“

I clasped my hands over my ears. “Lalalalala I don’t wanna hear it! I can’t hear you Lalalalala!”

Cole grabbed me by the hand and gave me a hard tug, causing me to stumble to his side.

I frowned and turned my head the other way so I wouldn’t face Cole. What kind of a “date” was this? More like a chance to make fun of me!

His hands trailed up to my face where he cupped my cheeks with his soft warm hands. A blush blossomed on my cheeks and I hoped he didn’t notice it.

“Alyssa look at me.” He ordered gently, his eyes fixed on my face.

“Mm-mm!” I pursed my lips and shook my head, snorting.

“Look at me.” He repeated, this time a little more harshly and cold. I winced and slowly spun my head to face him.

His eyes locked into mine, and I got lost in that sea of blue.

“Will you do this for me?” He pleaded, the corner of his lips tugged into a smile.

I cleared my throat, snapping out of my daze and lowering my gaze shyly. “And why should I do that?” I persisted on with my tantrum, even though my heart had already accepted his request.

“Because.” He lifted my chin lightly, his eyes smoldering into mine. “You’re doing this for the kids.”

I furrowed my eyebrows together in confusion. “Kids? What kids?”

“I wanted to give you a surprise, but who knew you would be so adamant. “ He sighed before continuing. “We’re going to the orphanage.”

“Whenever there was a clown performance at the orphanage, I would be happy for the entire day. It was the only thing I was looking forward to.” He looked dreamily behind me at nothing in particular. “The children in the orphanage are very pitiful, don’t you think Alyssa? I know, because I’ve been one of them. I really want to help them, you know? Make them happy for at least once.”  

I blinked my eyes at him, my lips forming a small ‘o’. My mind went blank and I couldn’t think of a retort at the moment. His reason was perfectly satisfactory and I had no reason to snap back at him. “Oh.” That was all I managed to squeeze out.

He softly patted my cheeks, before turning around to pick up the clown costume. “So,” He grinned. “Are you with me, or not?”

I sulked, crossing my arms indignantly. He raised an eyebrow at me, and I let out a defeated sigh, giving in.

“Fine.” I muttered, rolling my eyes. “Hand over the clown costume.”

Cole smiled triumphantly and threw the costume over into my hands, ruffling my hair at the same time. “That’s my girl.”