Chapter Thirty-Six - My Date with Cole

~Alyssa~

Grabbing my sling bag, I headed for the door. Cole told me to pack light, and to dress casually for today’s “date”, so I threw on a light yellow Hollister hoodie and a pair of sandy-brown shorts, along with a pair of Nike sport shoes. I think I pulled this off pretty well. 

“You might want to tie up your hair; it might get hot in there.” Cole advised me with a smirk.

I frowned at him. “Where is there?” I did imaginary hooks above my head.

“Oh, you’ll see.” He winked at me, sending shivers down my spine. I narrowed my eyes but bit my lip to prevent any retort from escaping my lips.

I skillfully twirled up my hair into a bun, securing it with a pretty pin that Matt had bought me in the zoo. It was shaped as a bamboo tree, with a panda clinging onto it, how cute.

“Come on Jayden you ready?” Cole called out, jogging towards Jayden’s room where there seemed to be a lot of noise going on in there.

I grabbed Cole’s hand, tugging him close to me and he paused in his tracks. “Wait a second, you mean…Jayden’s going too?” I inquired, putting my free hand on my hip.

Cole bent down to my level with a ghost of a smirk playing on his lips. “Aww is that jealously I smell around Alyssa? Are you sad that we’re not going… alone?” He sniffed the air playfully.

I felt a blush rising to my cheeks as I flicked my hair in defense. “If you count my new strawberry shampoo as ‘the smell of jealousy’ then yes, I do smell it.” I snapped back.

Cole patted my head, sighing and shaking his head at the same time and I opened my mouth to protest that I really wasn’t jealous! But just then, Jayden staggered out of his room with a spring in his steps. And with a lot of toys.

“Whoa Whoa Whoa where do you think you’re going with all those toys, Jay?” I threatened, folding my hands in front of my chest to make myself look fierce.

Jayden pouted, putting down his giant teddy bear sadly. “Cole told me I could bring them to the—“

“Ah—Remember, shhh Jayden.” Cole cut him off, putting a finger on his lips impishly. Jayden snickered and mimicked Cole. Oh great, so now they two were plotting something against me.

I waved a hand at them, annoyance flickering across my eyes. “Fine, you can bring your dolls whatever, but Mr. Snuggles stays here.” I ordered, picking up the giant teddy bear that was twice the size of Jayden and placing it back in his room.

“They’re action figures.” Cole commented in a low voice and I shot him a flat stare.

“Okay Asher.” Jayden dipped his head down gloomily and headed to hug Cole’s leg.

Oh no. Alyssa-Bot Malfunction...too cute...cuteness overload... 

“Look, you broke the little kid’s heart. Nice going, Alyssa.” Cole scowled at me, lifting a disappointed Jayden off the ground. I bit my tongue, grimacing when Cole wasn’t looking. I guess I went a little overboard because I was a little peeved that Cole was keeping a secret from me.

“I’m sorry Jayden; you can take Mr. Snuggles if you like.” I apologized meekly and Jayden’s face lit up immediately, jumping off Cole’s arms and dashing into his room.

“I’m ready!” Jayden came out of his room, his face glowing with excitement even though he struggled under the giant teddy’s weight. Cole and I laughed and Cole took the teddy off Jayden’s body and threw it over his shoulder as if it weighed nothing.