Vampires in the books

Start from the beginning

*Enkil

The king, who ruled with Akasha, he was the first she made into a vampire. Together they are later referred to as those who must be kept and are motionless as statues. Marius eventually has the task of keeping them, and it is while in his keeping that Akasha destroys Enkil as she no longer needs him, this proves that is Akasha who is the life of the vampires and not Enkil as previously thought.

*Gabrielle

Gabrielle is Lestat´s mother, she was dying and he offered her the gift of immortality. Once she is a vampire she rejects her female side dressing as a young man and leaves Lestat to live in the jungles of Africa where she is free to exist, as she desires.

*Jesse

Jesse is a mortal descendant of Maharet. She has the red hair, green eyes and psychic ability of the family. She is supported after her mothers death by her ´Aunt Maharet´ When she is at college she meets Maharet and goes to visit her in the compound that she lives in, she also meets Mael and notices that there is something peculiar about them. Maharet shows Jesse the family archives that she keeps, tracing the family line throughout the world and Jesse wishes to join Maharet in keeping these records. Jesse joins the Talamasca and in the course of her research comes across the vampires her interest in them comes from her strange aunt and she quits the Talamasca to go to Lestat´s concert where she discovers the truth Maharet is like Lestat – a vampire. But she is badly wounded at the concert and Maharet makes her a vampire.

*Khayman

A Steward of the Court of Akasha it is Khayman who is ordered to rape the twins as their punishment and is subsequently tormented by Amel. Once Akasha is a vampire she gives the blood to Khayman against his will in revenge he makes Mekare a vampire and sets the twins free. Khayman leaves and continues to make vampires trying to incite a rebellion against the King and Queen. He joins the gathering of the immortals after Lestat has awoken Akasha and believes completely in Mekare’s prophecy that she will destroy Akasha and joins to take a stand against his former queen.

*Lestat de Lioncourt

Created by the vampire Magnus, Lestat learned nothing from his maker as Magnus destroyed himself the same night he was made. In turn Lestat gives the ´dark gift´ to his mother Gabrielle, his friend Nicolas, Louis, Claudia, and David Talbot. His immortal life leads him along a path, which makes him known to the majority of the Vampire characters in the Chronicles. Lestat is a powerful vampire as the only fledgling of the 300 year old Magnus he was strong at the beginning but this strength is built upon when he drinks from Akasha the first Vampire it is this strength that enables him to survive Louis and Claudia's attack. After his parting with Louis his next rise is as a rock star in the 80s and has a part in Akasha´s great plan. He lives as a mortal again in tale of the body thief and has to struggle to regain his vampire body when he realizes he prefers the immortal life. His next adventure takes him to heaven and hell in the company of Memnoch the devil who desires Lestat to help him with his plans, after his escape Lestat does not know whether all he has seen is true and does not know what he believes. Lestat is a main character in many of the books in the Vampire chronicles - being the narrator of The Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned, Tale of the Body Thief and Memnoch the Devil. These four books will give all the knowledge one needs on the life of Lestat.

*Louis de Pointe du-Lac

Created by Lestat in 1791 at twenty-five years old while grieving for his brother, Lestat was attracted to his despair as he wished for death. Louis is not happy with the vampire lot and despises having to kill mortals to survive. However after 4 years of avoiding killing humans he comes across a young girl alone with the body of her mother and drinks from her, the girl is Claudia who Lestat turns into a vampire. The three of them live as a ´family´ for 65 years until he leaves with Claudia believing that Lestat has been destroyed. Louis travels to Europe with Claudia and it is there that they fall in with Armand and the coven of the Theatre des Vampires. He creates Madeleine at Claudia´s request, as she can not do it herself. But the new ´family´ does not last long as Claudia and Madeleine are destroyed by the coven this loss continues to haunt Louis for a long time. After Lestat and the body thief incident where Louis refused Lestat the dark gift when he was trapped in a mortal body Lestat forgives him and asks Louis to Live with him once more, Louis accepts. In Memnoch Louis is living with Armand in Paris but returns to New Orleans to see Lestat after his ordeal.