Proud

"Toby. This is a huge mistake. Don't go with Jack." Gus whispers to not interrupt the principle's speech. This graduation hat itches like crazy, and so does the gown, but Gus looks glorious in it, like usual.

"Gus, there is nothing you can say that will make me change my mind. I'm going with Jack to England and that's that." I whisper back, itching my head.

"Please don't. You don't love him. You love Theo!"

"Shhhh!" I tell him, looking around to see if anyone heard him.

"It's true."

"It doesn't matter."

"It so does!" He says rolling his eyes.

"Gus, you should stop."

"He loves you too, Toby."

"Stop it."

"I know he does."

"Gus!"

"Tobelia Rose Waldorf-Montgomery." We hear. I look at the principle and then at Gus.

I stand up and go up on the stage to get my diploma and take my picture.

My grandmother and father shout my name from the audience and cheer me on, and I leave all the serious conversations behind me to go get my freedom from the principle's hand.

~

"I AM SO PROUD OF YOU, TOBELIA!" Grandma says, choking me in her hug.

"Thanks grandma..."

"I AM SO SO PROUD, DARLING." Why do I feel like she's talking in capital letters all the time?

I lean out of the hug and see my dad laughing. I go to him.

He hugs me in a way that makes me want to cry.

"Your mom would be so proud." He whispers. I cry. "I know it's the most generic thing I could say, but it's the whole truth. She would be so proud. She would brag to everyone about you. About how her daughter is going to college, about how amazing you are." He cries too.

Our hug ends, and I wipe my tears without saying anything. I feel her here; I feel my mom right here with me.

I turn around and see Horacio.

"Congratulations." I tell him.

"Don't go with Jack." He tells me.

"I guess Gus told you."

"Don't you dare go with Jack."

I sigh, and caress his shoulder gently. "Ace, you're still my best friend. I love you." He sighs, and looks at me with care. "But I'm going with Jack."

"Toby, you always listen to your heart. You know who you are, you know where you stand as a person. Your heart doesn't lie, and you trust it, as everyone should do, but many don't find the courage to. That's why I love you. That's why we all love you. You need to do that now. You need to trust your heart once again."

"Horacio, you will always be--"

"I'm not the one who it belongs to." He interrupts me. "You know who does."

He starts walking backwards slowly, away from me and maintaining the eye-contact.

"And you're still my best friend too."

~