Gone

Knock, knock, knock.

A man wearing a mustard vest answers the door.

"Hello, sir." I say. "Are Zig-- err, I mean, are Elizabeth and Theodore home?" As the words leave my mouth I feel like laughing at the strange formality that came with them.

The man kindly smiles. "Lizzie!" He calls. She comes running down the stairs, wearing glasses and a light yellow Polo shirt, almost matching his fathers. My cheeks fill with air and I wait until her father leaves to break out laughing.

"What the hell are you wearing?" I ask her, having a great time looking at alternate-universe Ziggy.

She smiles and nods a little, embarrassed. "Very funny, Tobelia."

I stop laughing and smile, defeated. "Touché."

"So, what's up?"

"Is Theo home?"

"Actually... No." She says, scratching the back of her head.

"What?" I ask. Something is clearly bothering her.

"Hum, please, come in, Tobes."

"What is it, Ziggy? Is something wrong?"

"Let's talk. Please, come in."

"Ziggy, where's Theo? Is something going on?"

She hesitates, nervous. "Just... Please come in Toby. I'll explain everything."

"I'm not fucking coming in, alright? What is wrong, dammit?"

She sighs. "He's not here, okay? He's... Gone."

"Gone?? What do you mean gone?"

"I don't know what happened between you two the other night, but he came home decided he wanted to leave."

"Leave to where??" My heart has never beaten so urgently before. My head feels light and my thoughts seems distant. Theo? Gone?

"Toby, oh gosh, you look like you're about to faint!" Her eyes are exclaiming her words, and her voice is frenetic.

"Where is he." I don't even ask. Just order her to answer my question.

"I told you. He's gone."

~