Gram's Birthay

"I'm so glad I'll finally get to meet your grandma." Avi runs his fingers through his hanged shirts. He's always so well dressed, it's kind of intriguing seeing his dressing process. "She sounds so amazing."

I feel the soft fabric his bed sheets are made of. "She is."

He comes close to me and holds my hand, with an untied tie hanging around his neck. "Are you nervous? Introducing me to her?"

"I'm going to introduce you to the whole family. Including my dad. And Gus will be there. I think it's something worth being nervous about."

He smiles and gently caresses my cheek with his thumb, while his other four fingers are in the back of my neck. "I'm glad we're doing this."

I really hope my grandma likes him.

~

We come through the door and I already see my target.

Grandma is standing in the middle of the room with a long red sequence dress, and her blond hair up in a fancy up-do, very old Hollywood.

I ignore everyone around me calling my name and, pulling Avi by the arm, go straight towards grams.

"Toby!" She exclaims, opening her arm to hug me.

"Hey grams, this is Avi." I introduce, nervously.

They both shake hands.

"Hellooo Avi." She says. He smiles.

"You look divine, Ms. Montgomery." He greets, kissing her hand, and she looks at me enchanted.

"Why thank you, young man!"

Avi leans over and speaks in a lower tone, closer to her ear. "I'm so glad to be here. You can only turn 27 once."

She laughs loudly.

"Avi, do me a favor will you, and go get Toby and I two glasses of white wine."

He nods and kisses my cheek before leaving.

"He's so charming." Grandma tells me.

I nod.

She gets a glass of white wine that was in the small table beside us. I laugh, this is so typical of her. She sips the wine. "So, is he your boyfriend?"

"He is a boy and he's my friend so..."

"Don't you play stupid with me Miss Tobelia Rose Waldorf-Montgomery."

"Shhhhhhh" I whisper-shout. "Nobody can hear you say that! Jeez!"

"Answer my question!" She whisper-shouts back.

"I don't know, okay! Maybe, maybe not, I don't know."

We both sigh sharply.

"I would have never guessed." She says.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know... The whole family just thought you and Horacio would just end up together by now."

"What?? Me and Horacio???"

"It's "Horacio and I", darling." She corrects me.

"How could you think that? That's crazy! He's like... My brother! That's just disgusting."