Jack

"We really need to talk, Jack." I tell him, sitting comfortably on a bench, right beside him.

"God, nothing good can come after that." He sighs.

I lay my hand on his knee, trying to make him feel better.

And he puts his hand on top of mine.

And that touch.

That simple touch.

Rips open one of the stitches on my heart.

And I remember when my heart was still as good as new.

FLASHBACK

"Ms. Christiansen will totally murder us if she hears us, guys!" I hear, coming from a random boy running around in the hallway. All of them are making so much noise.

"SHHHH!!" Another boy exclaims, mad.

"Shut up, you idiot!" Another one complains.

Ugh.

What is so wrong with them that they can't just walk through a hallway without sounding like freaking zoo animals??

They keep telling each other to shut up without realizing they're just contributing to the noise-making.

Ugh! Great! Now I have to read the paragraph all over again because I wasn't paying attention.

I start trying re-read the paragraph but I still don't manage to succeed because I just want them to leave so much.

It's like the third time I'm reading the same paragraph, not having any idea of what its about. Ugh!

Suddenly the noise fades and I realize they have finally left.

Finally.

"Did you know your face gets really tense when you're reading?" I hear and look up and the handsome boy with a slight British accent.

"Umm..." I try to answer but what do I say? No? Thanks? All of the option seem wrong.

Seems like I have no clue how to talk to people like him.

He sits down beside me.

"What are you reading?" He asks.

I look at he book cover, trying to remember the title of my favorite book, that suddenly escaped from my mind.

"Oh, uh... It's called Hatchet. It's really good."

He leans over and gets really close to me to read the title, even though I'm pretty sure he could see it from where he was. His hair is inches away from my nose, and I realize how handsome he is when I fail to find any imperfections being this close to him. "Yeah? Should I read it?"

"Oh! Umm, yeah. If you like the story..."

"What's it about?"

I smile.

"It's about a boy, and he's—"