C H A P T E R T H I R T Y | A Second Chance

Jaye
"What do you mean she is? She's dead?" Tears sting my eyes. She can't be dead. She can't be.

"She has no pulse. We've asked Nate to go get Charlie, Lewis and Frank. We didn't know what else to do," Milla explains.

"Paige!!" A small voice screams from behind me. I turn around to see Charlie running towards her sisters body.

"What's wrong with her?" Lewis asked as he joined his sister.

"She's dead," I say, sadness webbing my voice.

Paige
Darkness surrounds me like a python surrounds its prey. I can't see anything, and I can't hear anything either.

An abrupt ray of light shines through the ceiling, and a beautiful woman appears. She had white hair, not from age, and piercing blue eyes. A beautiful white and silver dress flowed from her neck to the ground. She stared at me, and I stared back in awe.

"Hello, Paige." She greeted me. Her voice was as smooth as silk and as clear as crystal.

"How do you know my name?" I ask, my eyebrows knitting together in confusion.

"Have you not figured it out yet?" She asks, making me even more confused. I stare at her, and she smiles realising that I haven't figured anything out.

"I am the moon goddess." She says. Everything make much more sense, except for why she was here.

"Pardon me for asking, but, what are you doing inside my head?" I ask. She smiles.

"We are not inside your head, Paige. Look around." And, just as commanded, I looked around.

Wherever I was, I was no longer in the midnight black room I was in before. Fluffy white clouds rolled like hills toward a large iron gate, and before I could ask where I was, the moon goddess answered.

"We are in the skies,"

I stared, not believing my eyes. She started to walk toward the iron gate, and I assumed I was to go with her.

Every step was like walking on cotton; soft and comfortable.

"What are we doing here?" I asked. She turned to me.

"Paige, you are dead," She replies. The information hits me like a train, and everything comes rushing back to me.

"Oh..." I say, trailing off. "So, I'm basically in Wolf Heaven?" I ask.

"Basically," she chuckles. Then she stares at me with a serious expression.

"Paige, I do not usually guide the wolves toward the gated like this, but I am here for a very important reason," she explained.

"Which is..?" I ask.

The moon goddess doesn't need to answer as she flicks her wrist, and makes her own invisible projector.

On the 'movie screen', I am lying on a white bed in the pack hospital. Jaye is sitting beside me, praying that I will wake up. The heart rate monitor machine's line was completely flat. Frank, Lewis and Charlie surround me with depressed expressions.

"Is that me, right now?" I ask her. She nods her head.

"Wow, I look so... dead..." I can't think of any other word to describe it.

Suddenly a voice projects from above, even though there are no speakers that it could be coming from. I listen, and I'm surprised to realise that it is in fact Jaye's voice.

"Please, moon goddess, just give her another chance. I can't live without her. I've been waiting for my mate for what seems like forever. She can't just die like that. You control our fate, so why can't you control mine toward the path that is needed most?" He says. On the screen, his eyes are closed and his cheeks are tear strained.

"Moon goddess?" I ask, and she turns to face me to show she is listening.

"Yes, Paige?" She replies.

"Why are you here?" I ask. She smiles, and walks towards me.

"To bring you back to life," and with the touch of her finger to my forehead, I'm awake and living once more.

Jaye
Paige sits up in the hospital bed and takes a deep breath.

"Mum!" Frank cries as he runs up to her. Charlie and Lewis join their nephew and hug their sister tightly. She hugs back, unsure of what was happening.

"What happened? I remember being attacked, I remember seeing the moon goddess, and then I was just awake, like that," she clicks her fingers as an example. I shrug, but smile.

"I'm glad you're alright, though," I say, pulling her into a tight hug.

"Me, too," she smiles in my warm embrace, and I wish we could stay like that forever.

Paige
Next day.
"Jaye? I know what we're gonna do," I say as I walk down the stairs to the kitchen.

"Gonna do about what?" He asks as he pulls me in for a hug.

"The pack and moving arrangements," I explain. "I've spoken to Amber, Bonita, Henry and Ronnie, and I've decided what we're gonna do."

"What's that?" He asks as he kisses my temple.

"I'm going to be the Luna of your pack. Amber, Bonita, Henry and Ronnie are gonna move in and are going to become part of our pack. They understand that they're gonna loose their status. They say it's okay, as long as they're with me." I say.

"Are you sure?" He asks.

"Definitely."

4 weeks later.
"Paige Edwards, do agree to the terms, conditions and policies of being a Luna? Do you accept to be Luna of the Moon Shadow Pack?" One of the elders at the ritual asks.

"I do,"

"Very well. I will now place this stamp upon your forearm, to signal that you are the Luna." He rolls up my sleeve and I hiss in pain.

"Alpha, I haven't even started yet," he whispers. I shake my head.

"It's not that," I look down at my alpha stamp. It's burning a hot, fiery red, and is steaming. I yelp in pain.

After a minute of agonising pain and confused whispers from the crowd, I am surprised when I look down at my fiery arm to see the alpha stamp has in fact disappeared.

I shrug it off and nod to the elder, a sign to let him know to keep going.

He presses the stamp against my forearm. I don't make a sound, because it doesn't hurt. I'm semi-used to it.

He removes the stamp.

"Paige Edwards, you are now the Luna of the Moon Shadow Pack,"

*
*

"I love you, Jaye," I press my lips to his. He pulls away.

"I love you, too,"

Let's just say, the next day, we were fully mated.