C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - N I N E | She Is

Paige
"Alpha! Rogues, at the North Border. We need back up," Kai says as he runs into the kitchen.

He and Peyton must have came in last night, I think to myself.

Henry, Bonita, Ronnie, Amber, Grace, Dylan, Milla, Nate, Jaye, Kai, Peyton and I run to the front door and walk out into the cold air.

I shift and start running, the wind ruffling my black fur as I do so. I can hear padding feet behind me, and I turn around to see a beautiful grey wolf with crystal blue eyes.

It's me, Jaye says through the link, and I realise it's his wolf that's running along beside me.

He's beautiful, I complement. I can just imagine his smirk as he says, You think I'm beautiful? I sigh, and I don't answer.

Eventually we reach the border line and a massive fight is taking place. My eyes widen at how many rogues there are, until I realise it's Finn's rogue pack. Typical.

Lets do this! May shouts, her voice filled with confidence.

I love your attitude, May, I smile, then we charge.

I whimper as someone grabs my neck and throws me against a tree. I stand up and look straight a head to see a rogue staring at me straight in the eye; a threat.

I growl threateningly and the rogue growls, too. He leaps, and I side step so he crashes into a tree.

Another rogue sneaks up behind me and leaps into my back. I let out a yelp and start running around to try and get rid of it.

Eventually it flings off of my back and on top of another rogue.

Good shot, May says.

Thanks, I reply.

Both of the rogues that attacked me before sneak up on me, though I can hear their heavy breathing. I fling around and growl at both of them. They look surprised that I knew they were there.

They growl a warning and I growl back. Then they jump on me, but I push them off with my legs. They go flying into a tree trunk, again.

I let out a yelp as another rogue attacks me from behind. He grabs onto my neck and chomps down hard. I let out a whimper and fall to the ground. The rogue grabs my neck again and throws me into the ground. I can hear my bones crack from the impact. The rogue grabs my neck again and chomps down once more. It begins to get harder to breathe as my throats critically injured. I can feel the blood trickling down my neck through my fur.

I shift back and the rogue walks away. I'm laying on the ground, no clothes — which is pretty embarrassing — and dying. I can hear a faint howl in the distance, and I can just make out the rogues retreating. Then my eyes close and everything goes black.

Jaye
A howl cuts through the noise of the fight and everything stops. I watch in confusion as the rogues eb away.

Then I realise something.

I can't smell Paige. Or see her. Or hear her.

I start to panic and run behind a tree to shift back. I grab a pair of shorts that rest at the roots of the tree and put them on, then I run back into the clearing to find Paige.

"Jaye! I think you should see this!" Milla runs up to me and grabs my arm, then drags me along through the clearing.

When we stop I look down to see Paige, limp on the ground.

"She looks... dead," I say, worried.

"She is,"