C H A P T E R T H R E E | Archery Armageddon

Paige (10 years old)
I watched as the rogues attacked our pack from my bedroom window. One looked up at me, and quickly I hid under my bed.

I heard the front door open and I grabbed my bow. I wasn't very good at archery, but I could hit the target if I focused hard enough.

I grabbed an arrow and attached it to my bow. When I heard the footsteps grow and saw their feet from under the bed, i shot the arrow and it flew through the air, into the rogues leg.

"Ahh!" he screamed as he fell backwards from the pain.

I giggled slightly, but stopped as soon as I heard a stressed scream. I got out from under the bed, quiver on my back and bow in my hand. I pulled out an arrow from my brown leather quiver and attached it to the bow. I pulled back, ready to let it loose at any movement. Mrs Leion, our archery teacher, taught us that if your ready before the attack, you're going to be successful afterwards.

I know what your thinking; 'Why in the world would an 8 year old take archery lessons?' But, it was for this very reason. If rogues attacked, I wouldn't be able to defend myself if no one else could. So now, I'm safe. No matter what.

I heard the scream again, and ran to Ronnie's room. A rogue was picking him up by the neck for fun. No way, hosay. He does not touch any of my friends.

I let go of the arrow and watched it spin through the air. It placed itself in between the rogues neck and shoulder blade. He dropped Ronnie and fell to the floor. Ronnie ran over to me.

"Thanks," was all he said before he ran to his walk in closet and grabbed two... paint ball guns?

"Why the hell do we need paint ball guns??" I asked him.

"To defend," was all he said before he ran out of his bedroom and into Amber's.

Probably handing the other one to her, I thought to myself.

I followed him down the hallway and drew another arrow.

"Ronnie, you can't defend, and neither can Amber. Your six and she's five. It's not happening." I tried to convince the little, stubborn 6 year old.

"Well if they think they can come onto our land and attack us, I need to at least make sure Amber is okay." He protests. I huffed in defeat but went into full protective mode when I heard some one scream and cry. It came from down the hallway...

"Amber," Ronnie and I say in unison.

We ran down the hall as fast as our legs would take us and reached Amber's room within seconds. A rogue was in there and he had one of her dollies. Uh oh.

"Cover your ears," I whispered warningly to Ronnie. He nodded and covered his ears with the palms of his hands.

I didn't bother because it was the perfect time.

1...
2...
3...

"Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!" Amber let out a high pitched scream, and let me tell you, it was loud.

Around the middle of the scream, I let go of the arrow and it placed itself in the back of the rogues head. He dropped the doll and fell backwards, which, get a bucket ready, made the arrow go right through.