MiniZerk - Subtle Changes

POV: Josh

Warnings: None

-Begin One Shot-

The restaurant was beautiful and so was Freya. She was dressed in a simple short black dress, her hair and makeup all done up, smiling at me from across the candlelit table. While I sat there awkwardly in my nicest suit. I took care to make sure to clean up well for this date. I figured I could take Freya out somewhere special for once instead of  somewhere  like Nandos, for the thousandth time.

She and I carried small conversations that really didn't lead anywhere except to moments of silence. Which was fine with me but I could tell it would bother Freya based on the look annoyed look she would give me every once in a while.

We had just finished eating and were waiting for our deserts when I heard a laugh from across the room that really caught my attention. I knew the wonderful laugh anywhere. After having it ring in my ears for so many years, I could never miss it.

I turned slightly in my chair and looked across the restaurant to a small table on the side where a beautiful boy sat. His blonde hair was spiked up as normal but, even from here, you tell he put a little more effort into it than he usually did. I felt a smile cross my as I looked at Simon, my housemate and my best mate.

There was a wide smile on his face as he laughed at whatever the person in front of him said. Simon looked so handsome in the dark red button down shirt he wore.

"Who are you looking at Josh?"

I quickly turned back to Freya to see her quizzical look.

"Sorry," I replied quickly, "I thought I saw someone I knew across the restaurant, but I was wrong."

I watched as she turned to scan the restaurant. Thankfully her view of the boy was blocked by a wide pillar. I took the opportunity to turn and look again as I watched as Simon laughed again at his companion. A man I have never seen before, but he appeared to be an extremely handsome, well-built man.

I instantly felt a wave of jealously run threw me, scaring me. So I turned back to my dining companion just in time to meet her eyes as she had finished her scan of the room. When our eyes met she gave me a sweet smile that sent my stomach squirming and not in a good way. Noticing my distress, Freya questioned,

"Josh, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," I replied quickly, "Something from dinner must've hit my stomach wrong."

"Oh, ok." She replied sweetly, "Do you want to just get our deserts made to go then and go home?"

She asked this a little too hopefully which sent warning signals into my brain.

"Nah," I replied, waving her off, "We can eat them here, I should be fine."

"Ok, if you are sure Josh." She replied, her eyes glowing.

Oh fuck. I thought, realizing what was probably going through her brain, I hope she doesn't think I brought here hear to propose to her after desert like in some romantic movie.

I did a mental tally of everything, beautiful expensive restaurant, I was acting a little weirder than normal, and I was wanting to eat desert here. Shit

I immediately needed to get away for a second, just to clear my head. I stood up abruptly, scaring her.

"I have to go to the loo." I said quickly, not giving her a chance to reply before I tore off to the restroom.

Everything was such a blur that I didn't see the concerned gaze that followed me to the restroom nor did I see the blonde hair boy get up and follow me.