"I don't want to go in there," Avery complained as we stepped out of he car. I rolled my eyes and shut the door. I walked up to Ave and put my hands on her shoulders. "Aw, come on. It won't be that bad. Just try not to kill any of the cheer bitches, ok?" Avery scowled at me and shrugged my hands off before stalking towards the school. As soon as we walked into the school, all eyes were on us.

"Whoa, Sky and Avery are looking good." One of the jocks said before another one high fived him. I noticed many tiny freshmen staring at the seniors in awe. I never understood how small each generation was getting. Then again, once in a while I saw a kid who looked older than me, but still hadn't properly gone through puberty. "As if. They look the same as usual," a cheer bitch said as she hit the same guy in the chest. "Oh no! I just got this manicure done last night!" She screeched as she ran towards the washroom. I rolled my eyes at them and turned to Avery. She had the look of death on her face. I almost forgot what a dark person she was at school. I guess I need to get use to it until we move on to university.

"Let's just get our schedules and put our stuff in our lockers. We better have a few classes together." Avery said grouchily. She really doesn't enjoy school. I nodded so we went and picked up our schedule. "God damn it! We have Calculus first period!" Avery complained. I just laughed at her. I'm actually happy about this so I can actually look forward to my other classes of the day. "Mr. Bell isn't going to be happy if that's going to be your outlook on the course," I teased. She frowned and looked at the paper. "We don't have him anymore. Remember? He retired after last year," she reminded me. "Right, who's our teacher then?" I asked. Avery shrugged her shoulders.

"It says zzTeacher1" That always happens when there's a new teacher—mainly because they hire them after final exams. "Maybe he won't be as happy-go-lucky as Mr. Bell was all the time." I laughed and linked arms at her as we walked into the cafeteria. Juniors and seniors only had school for the second half of the day while freshmen and sophomores had it all day today. We only had to go to our first two classes and then we'd be free. We sat down at our usual table, which was luckily free. The first bell rang and all of the shorter people, and a few tall people, left the room to go to their classes. Thankfully none of the jocks or cheer bitches were in the cafeteria. My bet was that most of them were outside by the ravine smoking pot.

The cafeteria hadn't changed much. The only difference was that the mural had been redone over the summer and that we finally had a working water fountain. Avery looked so different to me. She wore black most of the time, but at school it was insane. She had on all black converse with black skinny jeans, a ripped black band t-shirt, black nail polish with black arm warmers, a black sweater and fake black eyebrow piercing. Ave was the master of disguises. She had a bunch of fake piercings and even had in a few clip in extensions, which were red. It was always so weird getting used to seeing her like this after seeing her real self almost everyday of summer vacation. The only time she wore something similar was at work or when we went out somewhere that we'd be bound to run into people from school. But even then she didn't wear her fake piercings or crazy eye makeup.

Ave and I decided to play one of our favourite back to school games: Spot who changed. I began naming people from across the room that no longer had braces. There were a total of four. Next we moved onto people who had changed their hair, which were many more people. We went on for the next hour or so. Some people had clearer complexions, while others seemed to have been visited by the boob fairy (though I suspected that a few procedures were done.) Some people even had tattoos.

When we finished up with that game we decided to inspect what had changed about ourselves. I pointed out that Avery's boobs seemed to have grown another cup size and she pointed out that my skin had cleared up. Avery's fake lip piercing was new and apparently my face had lost baby fat. Soon enough the lunch bell rang, which meant the freshman and sophomores would be running towards the cafeteria. Ave and I quickly ran to her car and drove to a nearby McDonald's to grab milkshakes for lunch. We only had half an hour to eat before returning to school. Though that seems like a sufficient amount of time to drink a milkshake, I was an extremely slow eater and had to finish mine on the drive back to school.

Avery dragged my into the school, almost making me miss the garbage can at the bottom of the staircase. I knew she wanted to avoid the younger grades that lingered on the main floor. When we finally got upstairs, Ave and I made our way to our lockers, which had been assigned the year before. We always requested to have lockers next to each other and away from certain individuals. My school was all about avoiding conflict, mainly because of the cliques. All of the cheer bitches had lockers together in the west hallway, right across from the jocks. It was unbelievable, but I was glad that we were far away from them.

We finally made our way to calculus. Avery and I decided to sit in the front row this year. It's the only way people wouldn't bother us. That and I really needed to pass this course to get into the science program at my dream schools. All of the jocks took their seats in the back while the cheer bitches took theirs either next to the jocks, or in the middle. The quiet people and those who were often called nerds sat in the front near Ave and I.

I was finally looking over my schedule and noticed that I have two spares this year—one each day right after lunch. Avery had the same courses as me, which would mean that we would share our free periods together and have an extra long lunch. I loved my new schedule. I was so distracted that I didn't even notice the new teacher walking into the room and writing on the board.

"Oh-em-gee! He's so hot!" One of the cheer bitches squealed from the back while holding up a nail file. It was the same one from earlier. I looked at Ave, who looked shell shocked, but I assumed it was because she was annoyed. I turned back towards my schedule without looking at the front of the room. I was shocked when my name was called out since I didn't realize that the attendance was being done. I finally looked up as I announced that I was in class, but my expression turned into one of utter despair.

"Sky Evans? That's funny, I know a Sky-." Dan's eyes widened as he found my face and he stopped speaking for a while. I just sat there in silence with wide eyes. I couldn't sense Avery moving either. Dan continued to look at me in shock and I noticed him mouth "holy shit" to himself before checking off my name.

~~~

Remember to either follow my wattpad facebook page (link in my profile) or check back every week for new chapters!