Chapter 1 Back in Town

Start from the beginning

"That is too much of a tip for me to accept."

He looked at me with a puzzled look. Yeah any normal person would take the rest of the man's change. The man comes everyday and does the same thing. Once I tried giving him his change but he just walked out without a word.

"So..." his eyes dropped to my name tag "Grace are you working alone?"

Panic rose in my chest as bad thoughts ran through my mind. Oh god what if he is some crazy serial killer.

"No, the cooks are in the back." I motioned my hand to the kitchen doors

Yeah the lazy cooks took off and will be back in an hour or so. But I wasn't telling him that.

"No other waitresses?" he asked his eyes searching the empty diner

"She is actually going to be here any minute. It isn't so busy at this time anyway."

He shifted in his seat and prompted his elbows on the counter, his eyes held a glint of mischief.

"How old are ya?" he asked

It was then I heard the light irish accent. He didn't look irish.

"That isn't an appropiate question." I said looking at the counter rather than his face

"I just don't think teens should be missing school to wait on empty tables." he said in a mocking tone

He thinks I'm a child! Anger bubbled inside me at his snooty remark. The nerve of this ignorant stranger disrespecting Jack's diner. Jack runs a well managed diner that makes a decent profit. Here this jerk of a stranger comes with his cold, rude comments. Instead of defending the diner or myself I wiped the counter, again.

"Ignoring the customer, the only customer. Not very smart are you kid?" he snorted

I whipped my head up to his hard stare returning it with one of my own.

"You are a rude, cold man who knows nothing of this diner. We are a well respected diner that makes a fine profit thank you. You just happened to come at our slower hours. As for my age it is none of your concern but I am an adult. Now I am asking you to respect this diner or keep your mouth shut, sir."

He stared wide eyed at me. I blinked confusingly at him before my words registered in my mind. Oh gosh I didn't just do that. The man recomposed himself as the corner of his mouth tipped up into a smirk.

"I'm sorry sir I just didn't appreciate you disrespecting the McTern's diner. They are kind people who are doing a great job of running a respectable business.

His eyes narrowed as his smirk widened wickedly. He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted when the front door swung open causing the bell to ding annoyingly.

Adjusting her uniform Jacklyn McTern, Jack's daughter walked in with her eyes downward.

"Sorry Gracie I over slept again." she said her eyes fixed on her crooked uniform

The man turned in her direction with a smile not that annoying smirk he gave me. Jacklyn is pretty, she has her father's thick chestnut brown hair and his smooth tan skin. Her mother's wide hazel eyes and perfect hourglass figure. Jacklyn is a sight to behold no wonder she caught this jerk's attention.

His eyes softened slightly as he stood.

"Jay." he said

Jacklyn looked up at the stranger before running into his arms. He chuckled and wrapped his strong arms around her. What the hell? I stared at them with wide eyes.