Winter Break

(Character Discription)

Clara Rose Thompson

Hey there
I'm Clara Rose Thompson, I'm 18 years old and I'm from Altmore- Ireland.
My mother met my Dad in a nightclub....classy, I know.....but the point is, she never knew his name or a single thing about him, but Mum never planned a child. I wasn't exactly welcomed into the world. Mum didn't want to give up her lifestyle, she like to club, drink and well.....guys. But having a child limits that sort of activity, but she didn't stop when she was pregnant, or when I was born.
School was difficult, I was isolated- I didn't want friends- I trusted nobody. Would you if you had watched your mum being abused by "friends" for the first years of you life?
When I was 8 years old, I was foolish enough to let someone into my life- a teacher, well that completely shattered what little faith I had in my life. She was my only...no, best friend, and I loved her, she was 38, I was 8 but I saw no difference.
We stayed together at break time and at lunch time, she helped me the most during lessons. Then one night, I asked her around to tea, I was so happy that she accepted. But then I realized, what would she think of me, my mum, my flat? But I went through with it, she didn't care one bit; in fact she treated with even more respect, saying that I coped very well with a tragic life.
Then one day, she asked me round to her house for tea- i did not understand that it was wrong, so when we were there, and she kissed me, I thought it was normal.
One day during school, she kissed me again during lunch break, but then she didn't stop. she carried on. abusing me. destroying me. I didn't understand.
i felt wrong, dirty. As soon as I got home that evening, I took a good long look at myself in the mirror, staring at my reflection. I saw piercing eyes staring into my own. I was filth.
I knelt over the toilet bowl and stuck two fingers down my throat until i vomited. I was only trying to be empty, like I hadn't been that afternoon.
Little did I know that this would take over my life. It was my way of dealing with stress and anger.
When I reached high school, I was a wreck, I trusted no one, I was fully bulimic, I had no friends- and no mum. Who knows where she went? But the worst thing of all- I had no home. I lived on the streets, where ever I could.
My arm was covered in scars- unfortunately bulimia wasn't the only way of dealing with stress for me.
So that was me; broken.

-chapter-

"So, what are you doing for winter break?" I asked Rain. We were sitting at a lunch table together. Tomorrow was the beginning of winter break, so another month had already passed by.

"Oh, well, I'm not sure," Raindrop mumbled quietly, "My parents aren't sure if they can afford to fly all the way out to Britain this year, and I can't afford it."

"Oh..." I mumbled, quietly, sad for Rain, "Well, I would have you come stay with the boys and I, but we're all sort of busy. Niall and I are flying to Ireland to visit his family."

Raindrop nodded, "That sounds like fun. You know, I still haven't been able to meet this 'Niall guy' yet."

I laughed at how she called Niall 'Niall guy', "Well, maybe after break you can come meet him and the other boys."

"Well, they seem... Interesting," Raindrop replied, "At least that's what I hear from you're books. I will admit to also doing a bit of research about them..."

I laughed, "Well, they can be quite crazy, but they're always here for me," I replied. Rain smiled, "I'm glad you have them. They seem to make you so happy. Snow White... I was thinking. How were you able to remember who I was when you saw me? We were friends in preschool, fifteen years ago."

"Well, um, you were my first friend, Raindrop," I replied, truthfully, "I missed you when I had to leave. I didn't really have any other friends, until I met One Direction. Well, I guess you could say Evan was somewhat of my friend, but he was closer with Josh. What about you, Rain? How did you remember me?"

"Same reason as you," She replied, "I wasn't really ever popular in school... More like unknown..."

"Sometimes I wish I could've gone to public school, but... I probably would've been bullied, too," I said.

"Be glad," Raindrop replied, "It's so not worth it. High school sucks!"

I felt like someone was staring at me. I turned to see Chase's gaze on me, but quickly turned when he noticed I saw him. He was sitting with Marie, Ashton, and Evan. They were talking and laughing, but Chase didn't seem to be joining in much.

"I don't understand that Aris..." Rain muttered.

"When are you going to realize he's a good person?" I asked. Rain shook her head, "You wouldn't understand...."

"Yes, I would," I argued, "I understand that his sister is a jerk, I've already had experiences with her. Chase is different from her. Everyone is different. You can't just judge them by their siblings."

Rain sighed, "I guess you're right... But that doesn't mean I'm going to be best friends with him or anything."

"Then, why don't we join the others?" I suggested, starting to stand up. Rain looked a little worried, as I grabbed her arm, and pulled her upwards, so she was standing.

"Um, I don't know..." Raindrop mumbled, trailing off at the end.

"It will be fine," I reassured her. Raindrop took a deep breath, and then nodded. We grabbed our trays and walked over to their table. Marie looked up when she saw us, "We were just talking about you!" She exclaimed. I frowned, "Really?" I asked. Marie shook her head, still smiling, "No."

I shook off Marie's randomness, "Can we join you?" I asked. Evan nodded, "Fine by me."

I sat at the open seat beside Chase, and Rain sat on my right.

"Oh, Chase, did you get that paper done for our creative writing class?" I asked Chase. He nodded, "Yeah, I just finished it last night. Took me forever, though. What about you, Rain?"

Rain was messing with her salad with her fork. She immediately looked up when Chase said her name. She looked like a deer in front of headlights, "U-Um, y-yeah, I'm f-finished," Rain stuttered out.

"You know, you don't have to be so nervous when you're talking to me," Chase replied. Rain frowned, "I am not nervous!" She protested.

"Really?" Chase asked, before taking a bite of his sandwich.

"I know what you're trying to do, Aris!" Rain exclaimed. Chase raised his eyebrows, "And, what is that exactly?"

"You're trying to get me mad at you, so I'll talk to you!" Raindrop replied. Chase grinned, "Well, my plan has already worked. Because, if you haven't noticed, Rain, you're talking to me like a normal person."

Rain groaned, and crossed her arms. She slumped back in her chair and pouted. Chase and I laughed at her fake pitiful expression. Soon, lunch ended, and we left for our next class.

*

"You almost done packing, Nicole?" Niall asked, when he passed my room. I nodded, as I stuffed some more clothes into my suitcase, "Yeah, I'm almost done. Hold on a second," I replied.

"Okay, I'll just meet you downstairs," Niall said. I heard him leave. I continued to pack up. Today was the beginning of winter break, and Niall and I are leaving for his home in Ireland. I will admit I'm a little nervous, but also excited. It will only be Niall and I going, since the other boys are going to visit their families for Christmas. Louis is going to visit his family, same with Harry. Marie didn't want to come with Harry, since she's going to visit her own family. Zayn and Rachel are going to be together the whole time. The first week, they're visiting Zayn's family in Bradford. The second week they're coming back to London to see Rachel's family. Liam and Aislinn are going to be traveling to Liam's family together. Aislinn has no where to stay, but here. They're not dating yet, but Liam didn't want her to be all alone on Christmas.

I finished putting the last item in my suitcase, and zipped it up. I threw on my coat, hat, gloves, and boots over my outfit, then lugged the suitcase downstairs. Niall and the others were all downstairs, and ready to say our good byes. Louis threw his arms around me, "Don't get hurt," He said, before letting go. I frowned, "Nice advice, Louis," I replied. He grinned, "I know."

Next, Harry. We hugged, then let go. Harry looked down at me, "Don't let Niall get you pregnant," He told me, cheekily.

"We're going to his family's house, why would we be doing that?!" I argued. Harry simply laughed at my horrified expression. Zayn wrapped his arms around me, "Yeah, I'm going with Louis on this one. Don't get hurt."

I rolled my eyes, and then let go of Zayn. Last person, Liam. Liam hugged me, then said, "Have a good time, love."

"See, Liam knows how to say a good-bye correctly!" I exclaimed, causing the others to laugh. Niall said good bye to the boys, and we left for our flight.
*

We arrived at the airport in thirty minutes. Niall had our tickets, and we were on time. We walked through security, and boarded the plane. We walked through the aisle way on the plane, until we found two seats we could sit at together. We sat down, and waited for the plane to take off. Niall wrapped his arm around my shoulder, and waited for the plane to fly to Ireland.
*

*Clara's POV.*
The darkened sky loomed. I still couldn't believe they weren't going to cancel the flight. I could see the bolts of lightning crashing into the sea ahead of us. Why couldn't I just go back by ferry instead?- I mean, it's not exactly a long journey; London to Dublin. I have to admit though I was so happy to be going home, back to my family and this was so much quicker than the ferry that brought me here.

Although this was my first time flying and I was a little wary of what I was about to endure. It wasn't a very big flight, but it was a huge plane by my standards. About 100 of us clambered onto the plane whilst rain was thrown from the sky. I got to my seat and tried to relax, but I was just too nervous. I could hear the gentle rhythm of the rain falling onto the window, and then a crash of thunderous noise rippled through the sky. Great- we're flying in a storm.
The air hostess went through all her safety checks and we were deemed safe for take-off. I closed my eyes as the plane slid along the runway and angled itself higher into the sky. I curled in a ball, pressing my knees into my chin until the 'seat belts on' sign switched off. Even then I was terrified.
"Right," I murmured to myself, "It's not a long flight now, so just calm down." I tried to occupy myself with things I found around me. I was messing with my chair and my luggage. Then something fell from above me and hit the person sitting in front of me- directly in the head. I could now tell that it was an oxygen mask. "I'm so sorry," I frantically scurried, "are you okay?"
"Yeah I'm fine," she replied, "no biggie." She was so nice and calm, and very beautiful, sitting with an arm wrapped around her shoulder from the man with her. He had soft wavy blonde hair and smile lovingly at her. "You sure," I asked, "I didn't mean to, I'm just so nervous."
"Nervous?" she questioned, "how come?"
"It's my first time flying," I murmured, a little embarrassed by the prospect.
"You heading home?" she asked
"Yeah, how'd you know?"
"Your accent sort of gave it away," she smiled
"Oh right, yeah going home at last"
"Cool," boy with her quietly replied. He had an Irish accent too.
"Same for you then?" I asked him
"Yeah, taking to my girlfriend here to see where I come from"
"Sounds good," I replied, "well, sorry again for that, I don't even know how I managed it"
"It's fine really," she calmly replied, "and you have nothing to worry about."

With that she turned her head back to her boyfriend and I gazed through the window watching the sharp lightning bolts in the distance and the crashing of the grey waves in the sea. Suddenly, there was a huge drop, I felt like I was on a roller coaster, my stomach heaved into my chest. The abrupt drop cause the drinks to fall off the carts, the flight attendants even fell to floor. The plane was rocking, up and down, side to side and it carried on for about 3 minutes. I closed my eyes through the whole experience. Then came an announcement over the speaker, "This is you captain speaking," we have just experienced some moderate turbulence, nothing to worry about and we're right on course."

I breathed heavily, grasping the chair in front of me; the girl turned around again and asked, "Are you okay?" So she really listened before- how nice was that! "Errmm," I stammered, "I-I, yeah I'm fine," was all I could manage. "Thank you," I whispered. "It's Okay," she mouthed back.
I tried to relax, looking out the window, concentrating on the pounding of the rain on the wings, then suddenly, I watched the jet engine beneath the wing spontaneously combust into flames. I tried to scream, but couldn't, there was fire, what was happening? I tapped the girl in front of me on the shoulder, well more like thumped her on the head, and pointed frantically out the window. Her eyes grew wide as she saw the flames, she got her boyfriend to get am air hostess and tried to calm me down. "It's okay, they have back up engines, it's all okay." She soothed.
Then I watched another woman on the opposite side of the plane stand up screaming and pointing out the window, "FIRE, FIRE" she screamed.
"NOW can I panic, "I asked her, grabbing her by the shoulders, shaking her back and forth. Her boyfriend came back with a worried expression on his face, "I-I don't know what's happening" he told her. "I can tell you what's happening," I screamed, "The plane is on fire ON BOTH SIDES, and we're all going to die." That encouraged screams of other various passengers all over the plane, a message came over the announcer, but nobody could hear.

I curled up into a ball again, sinking into my chair, melting into fear and confusion. There was a loud bang, causing me to shoot upwards and look out the window, the jet engine had broken from plane and was now hurtling towards the sea. I continued looking out the window and saw that there was land close by, could we make it?
There was another bang, and a sharp drop, that roller-coaster feeling returned. I felt sick to my stomach. I looked over to the seats in front of me, they were cuddled together, at least they had each other, I had no one. They plane continued falling and falling, I can't even recollect what happened in the next few minutes, it was all such a blur. We fell, we crashed into the ground, smoke and flames surrounded us, consuming us. I breathed in the poison. I had to escape, I couldn't though, I couldn't breathe. I stood upright, making me feel dizzy and sick, inhaling the smoke. I made it to the end of my aisle, when I blacked out. I have no idea what happened in the next few minutes. I opened my eyes to the sound of shouting. I could hear faint callings and see the wispy smoke entering my mouth. I wasn't sure whether I was dead or alive, either way I felt dead. I felt someone kneel by my head, shouting into my ear. "Get up, get up" it repeated. It was a girl- that girl. I recognized the voice and tried to get up, my attempts failed as I collapsed back to the floor, she picked me up and carried me out the plane, I couldn't understand, I was practically unconscious. Why had she rescued me? We exited the smoky wreck of the plane, breathing in the cool, fresh air. Everyone was rushed to hospital, I went by helicopter with her. The next few days were just a blur of tests, treatment and surgery. I had 2nd degree burns to my left leg, they had to replace my skin.

-----------------------------

I hope you guys are all liking the new characters!! I just felt the need to add something to the story(: Comment and tell me who your favorite is so far! Xoxox -Madison
P.s. I once had a second degree burn, I got it from my brother when I was around 6. He didn't mean to, but he spilt water all over my arm on accident.. It was the most painful lest thing I have ever experienced!!! lol, it's Friday so I thought I should do a flashback(;