“Uh…” Dean joined our conversation just as I opened my mouth, to which I was very thankful.

“Dean, why don't you tell Mrs. Herman how we met.” I faked a smile at him. He pulled me into this, so let him get me out of it.

“Yeah, sure, sweetheart,” he smiled at me before turning to Mrs. Herman, “Well, when she walked into my office for an interview I knew then and there that she was the one. I don't know how, but she kinda captured my heart. And... yeah so we got along and I asked her out to which she agreed.” he made up the story so quickly I was shocked and surprised both at the same time. Also, he kept glancing at me while explaining to Mrs. Herman.

He was such a liar.

“How sweet! Well I must say she is a good catch. Don't let her go, Dean. You deserve to be happy and I think she makes you happy.” Mrs. Herman smiled at me. 

Soon Mr. Herman joined us. He stood beside his wife, with his champagne flute in his hand.

“Dean, I have an invitation for you both. Next week as you know, it's our 30th wedding anniversary, Esmé wants to go on cruise to travel around. I know you don't like to be away from your work but it's not more than five days trip and we would love to have you both join us and others,” he took a large envelope packet from a butler and handed it to Dean. “All the details are in it.”

“You know me well.” Dean said sharing a look with Mr. Herman which I didn't get. “Of course, we'd love to be there. Right, honey?” he looked at me grinning widely, showing his pearl white teeth.

I so badly want to strangle him, but I knew better than that. I controlled my anger and put on a small smile. “Yes, we'd love to.”

“Alright then this is going to be fun!” Mrs. Herman's excitement brought a wide smile on my face. She's very loving.

Little later, the lunch was served which consisted of variety of dishes. We had our lunch, bid goodbye to Mr and Mrs. Herman and got into the car.

I never tried to speak to Dean on the way back. He did glance at me now and then while we were at Herman mansion but not once did he try to speak to. My anger which had subsided temporarily ascended back. Why did he had to lie to them? Why did he kiss me in the first place? And how the hell did he come to know about Mark? I never mentioned anything about my past to him.

I was nudged back from my deep thoughts by the car horn. Louis stopped the car in front of the hotel.

I didn't wait for Dean, I got out of the car and straight away went to the elevator. It took some time for the door to open, by then Dean was by my side. Once we got inside, I brought my finger to press the button so did he. Our hands touched in the process and we stared at each other. He eyes held a mixture of emotions, I couldn't make out whether he was anger or sorry or irritated or God knows what else.

I recovered myself before him and pressed the button. I stood as far as I could from him, waiting for the elevator door to open as soon as possible. We made it to the penthouse with nothing but silence. By the time Dean closed the door I turned around to face him.

“Why the hell did you tell them I'm your girlfriend?” I burst out.

“What do you think I should have told them? You are my personal secretory and I was kissing my personal secretary because she was lying to me.” I could see his eyes burn like lava.

“Lying to you! When did I lie to you?”

“Then tell me who is Mark?”

Why the hell was he hanging on it? “I don't know.” I turned to go to my bedroom. This thing was taking a different route.