Wake Up Call

This might be a 'bleh' chapter but I had to insert a chapter wherein Maine had to face the consequences of her insecurities. We all go though it, right? Right! Anyway, I hope you enjoy reading nonetheless.
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Wait...what?!? Why?" were the words that instantly came out of RJ's mouth. Deep breath Faulkerson, deep breath. "You're joking right? Love? Maine? Tell me you're joking. But to let you know now, if you think this a joke, I don't find it funny" he added. He tried once more to reach for Maine's shoulders but she chose that instant to move away. She went to the other side of the bed before she turned to face him.

Maine's heart was pounding and her hands were starting to sweat. She heard the incredulity in RJ's voice and it nearly broke her heart. However, she cannot get the doubt and insecurity that stemmed out of her when John mentioned the reason for the bet downstairs. Was Kuya John right? Honestly, Richard Faulkerson Jr. is the epitome of an excellent catch. He's handsome as fuck, he's got an awesome profession and to top it all off, he's filthy rich. Why choose me? A simple girl who worked really hard to where I'm at right now. Why me? Am I enough? He can have anyone with the same caliber as him but he chose me? Did he just propose because I'm pregnant? Again? All these questions kept circling around Maine's head as she and RJ stood on opposite sides of the bed, just staring at each other, not one willing to break the silence. Maine can see RJ's questioning eyes but right now, the 'insecure Maine' has taken over and it looks like she's clapping in glee because of the conflict she caused. RJ took a step forward, with hands outstretched but Maine put her hand out to signal him to stop.

"Please Maine. Tell me what brought this on? I can't defend myself if I don't know what I did wrong" RJ pleaded.

"RJ, you didn't do anything wrong. It's me" she began but had to stop since she can't hold back her tears anymore.

"Babe, please. I can't stand seeing you cry like that. Tell me what you want me to do" he implored almost going down on his knees. As much as it pains him to think that Maine wants to break off the engagement, it hurts him more seeing her like this. Tears rolling down her face, her hands tightly clasped in front of her and her head bowed down. She looked so defeated, so forlorn, so far. He would rather see Maine doing her 'ugly cry' because at least, that way, he can see her pouring out her emotions. But this Maine in front of him is breaking his heart. Everytime he tried to go closer to her, she takes a step back.

"Maine. I'm leaving. Not for the reason that you might think. I'm leaving because I can't bear to see you like this. If it's me that's causing this, then I'll leave. But understand this. This is not done. I'm not agreeable to breaking the engagement until you give me a fucking good reason. And it'd better be damn good. I LOVE YOU! YOU! Nothing can ever change that. We're not done" he forcefully stated as he opened the door and stepped out.

As soon as RJ left the room, Maine slumped down on the bed and cried. A few minutes has passed when she felt someone else enter the room. She looked up to see Rose and her mom standing by the door and she cried even more. Rose walked over to her and gently placed a hand on her shoulder while Maryann went to her other side and hugged her. They stayed like that until Maine's sobs faded into hiccups. No one said a word until Maine spoke up.

"Mom, if I ever did something really stupid in the past, I think this might have topped it" she muttered while twisting her clasped hands on her lap. Maine couldn't even look at Rose.

"Maine, anak, to be honest with you, I don't understand why you are acting like this. When your Ates told me of the reason, I can't wrap my head around it. They meant nothing by it. You know how your siblings are. Look, you're my daughter so I think it's safe to say I know you but come on Maine. Don't you think that's a bit too shallow, even for you" Maryann gently reprimanded.