Secret's Out

Nicki is sitting inside hew new OB's office, waiting for him to come in. This is the first day that they get to meet each other. She's currently 5 months pregnant and her family doctor has now passed the pregnancy care to an OB. Apparently, this Dr. Faulkerson is quite young and from what his receptionist said earlier "not bad to look at". Nicki is very much in love with her husband but hey, she's still a woman. A woman, albeit a pregnant one, who can appreciate a good looking man when she sees one. She was busy looking through Matthew's pictures on her phone when the door opened. In walked a WOW! 'Not bad to look at' my ass! she thought. My god! This is a live male model. And then he smiled! HOLY COW!

"Hi! Good morning Mrs. Catalan. Sorry for the wait. I'm Dr. Faulkerson" he states extending his hand for a handshake.

"Oh right. Hi! I'm Nicki" she responds as she meets his handshake with her own.

"Nice to meet you. Good thing you're my last for the day. I have an appointment with a broker after " he says with a wink. "Ok. So I'll start with the prenatal questions...." and so he did. Nicki answered his questions when asked.

As Nicki was being interviewed, she noticed something very familiar with the doctor. She couldn't quite put her finger to it, but Dr. Faulkerson really reminds her of someone. The way he tilts his head when concentrating. The way his dimple on his left cheek suddenly appears when he clicks his tongue. The way his facial expression changes.....Nicki stood up all of a sudden and couldn't hold back the "OH MY GOD!" that slipped out of her mouth when she realized who Dr. Faulkerson reminds her of.

"What's wrong? What happened?" he asks, startled.

Nicki had enough presence of mind to respond "oh sorry! I just remembered something. Pregnancy brain" she counters as she sits back down. Oh, but her heart is pounding, and her hands are starting to sweat. Suddenly, an idea came to her. Looking at Dr. Faulkerson intently, she asks "I wonder if you know my sister? She works at FBU as well. She's one of the PCC's I think."

"Oh? What's her name?"

"Charmaine Mendoza. Maine for short." And then she saw it. The subtle change in the doctor's posture. The way he straightened his back. The slow redness creeping from his cheeks to the tip of his ears. The shadow of a smile that broke out on his face. The hitch of his breath before he looked up.

"Oh she's your sister? Interesting. Yeah she's a *clears throat* one hell of a wom.. *clears throat again* err nurse. One hell of a nurse. She's left an impression on me...I, I love errrr like working her, uuhhhmm with her." he stumbles with an imperceptible swallow.

AND JUST LIKE THAT, Nicki knew! She pieced two and two together and she knew who Dr. Richard Faulkerson is to her sister and her nephew. She now understands why Maine fainted in her kitchen that day.

The Mendoza clan had respected Maine's decision to not divulge the identity of Sebastian's father. They speculated that it was Gabriel because of the timeline but Maine vehemently denied it. And then Sebastian was born, and yes, he does not remotely resemble Gabriel at all.  Maine stood by her decision to not let the father know of Sebastian's existence stating "what's the point. He was a one night stand. A mistake on my part." 

As soon as Nicki exited the doctor's office, she dialled Maine's number.

"Hi Ate Nick. What's up?"

"Maine? Are you home? I'm coming over" and she hung up.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Maine just put Sebastian for a nap and was busy tidying up her living room when her oldest sister walked in. Nicki does not normally do anything out of the blue so Maine was a little puzzled when she called earlier to say she was coming over. Maine looked up to see her sister purposely striding towards her with an unreadable expression.