Take It Easy

The rest of the day went on without a hitch. Maine learned from Jenny that when she fainted that morning, Dr. Faulkerson was the one close enough to catch her otherwise she would have banged her head on the edge of the table and she might have ended with a concussion or worse, amnesia. A bit dramatic ain't it? Jenny also explained that there were no empty beds that time that's why she ended up in the doctor's sleep room. Jenny teased her mercilessly about how she looked so comfortable in the new doctor's arms that she looked like she would never wake up unless he kissed her, hence the nickname sleeping beauty.  She also tried to ask Maine why she fainted all of a sudden but Maine just responded with a shrug of her shoulders and an "I don't know" answer.

Meanwhile, the rest of the staff that witnessed the 'fainting incident' would come up to Maine and would jokingly ask how it felt to be carried by the handsome new doctor; to which Maine jokingly answered "it felt good. Try it sometime". 

However, on the times that she would be alone, fear and anxiety would start taking over and she would start hyperventilating again. She had to consciously talk herself out of the impending panic attacks.

Why of all places does he have to show up here? Out of all the hospitals in the lower mainland or in the whole country even, he has to get a job here. Deep breaths, deep breaths. Take it easy and don't let him rattle you again. This is the first of many days that you get to work with him. He's just another doctor. Be professional. Leave the personal stuff out of this, Maine thought to herself.

But she managed to steal some glances whenever RJ is close by . Gaaahhh! He is still as gorgeous as the last time I saw him! In fact, he looks like he is a bit more buffed compared to 21 months ago. And that swagger! Damn him! Effortless! He just stands there and everyone around him seem to swoon! She managed to avoid him throughout the rest of the day until it was time to go home. That's all she's been looking forward to, home.

RJ has been quite aware whenever Maine is within his touching perimeter.

She might think she's being sly in stealing those side glances, but oh I notice them. I can smell her scent from a mile away and I can feel my body respond whenever she looks my way. 21 months and she still has the same affect on me. My mouth actually waters when she's close by. Take it easy, RJ. You're acting like a crazed teenager who hasn't had sex. But come on! Look at her standing there! She looks as stunning as ever and she actually looks like she's gain some weight but in all the right places. Her face has filled out a bit. And oh her breasts. God, her breasts! They look fuller if that's even possible. And that walk! Damn! The way her hips sway when she walks! Shit! Effortless! RJ had to consciously talk himself out of the numerous fantasies that claimed his mind when she was near, otherwise, he will be walking with a boner all day. The one thing that RJ noticed though was the slight tremors of Maine's hands whenever she knew he was around. If he didn't know better, he would think that Maine was afraid of him. And if she was, whatever for?

The time came when Maine's shift had come to an end. As much as she missed her job, she had someone more important at home to attend to. She hurriedly went to the locker room to change and grab her personal stuff. As she was heading to the elevators, RJ was coming out of the unit to head to the cafeteria. He saw her first and he quickly tried to block her way. Maine knew it was him without looking up.

"Heading home?" He asks.

"Yes. It was nice working with you today Dr. Faulkerson." Maine responds with a slight tremor in her voice.

" Maine, is there a way we can chat? I mean over coffee? Don't you think it's time we talk?" He mumbled loud enough for only her to hear.

"There's nothing to talk about Dr. Faulkerson. We're both professionals here. Let's keep it that way." She answered back at the same time stepping away from him.

"Maine, please...." He persists but she was already heading to the open elevator. He turned around, looked her straight in the eye and loudly said: "you're not getting away that easy this time, Maine. This is just my first day. I'll be seeing you again. Count on that... " he promised as the elevator doors were closing.

Maine let out a huge sigh of relief when the elevator doors closed. Her knees almost buckled underneath her that she had to hold on to the railings. He was right though, she knew  he's right. This was just his first day! Maybe it's time to look for a different job. As she gets in her car and drove away, she realized one thing. She can't hide from him forever. It seemed that destiny had orchestrated for them to meet again. Honestly, their fates were forever intertwined because of what happened 21 months ago. Maybe it's time to face the music.