Hide and Seek

Maine came to when she heard the sound of a door closing. She stretched and slowly opened her eyes only to realize that she was lying in a hospital bed. Everything that happened came rushing back and she bolted upright.

As she looked around her, she realized that she's unfamiliar with her surroundings.  It dawned on her that she is in the doctor's sleep room.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh..., what the hell am I doing here?!?" She tried to recall how she got there but the last thing she remember was seeing Dr. Faulkerson (ok, RJ, if she's being honest with herself) and then nothing. Maine looked at the time and realized it's already 8:30. She scrambled out of the bed, quickly straightened her scrubs, fixed her ponytail and was about to reach for the door when her work phone (which she usually keeps in her back pocket) started ringing.

"Hello?"

"Maine? Are you upright? I need you in the OR right now! I don't care if you're still dizzy. I need your hands stat!" Jenny exclaims on the other end.

"Coming!" Maine answered back as she started running to the operating room which is located on the east wing of the floor.

This was why Maine missed her job. Don't get her wrong. The last year she's been off work had been exciting and filled with contentment as well but it's quite different from work. The adrenaline rush when there was an emergency never failed to get her blood pumping. There was also trepidation whenever emergencies at work happen because there was always that chance that it was not a happy ending. Most of the time, a baby comes out alive and crying but there are times when it's just silence.
Maine reached the OR in record time and she quickly  scrubbed, put on her hat and mask, and entered the room.

Jenny spotted  her and yelled  out: " The sleeping beauty awakens! On her first day back nonetheless!"

Everyone in the room turned  to her and started laughing. Needless to say, Maine was now turning red with embarrassment but quickly recovered and yelled back: "Shut up Jenny! You know me, I take my sleep anywhere, anytime" she quipped with a laugh.

Jenny just started laughing out loud and everyone in the room joined in.

"Ok enough of me. What do you want me to do?"

"30 week twins. Mom started labor at 3:00 this morning! You and I are baby nurses. Paramedics are on their way via chopper transport with the patient coming from Gibson. They will be landing any minute now. Dr. Faulkerson has been notified and he's on his way. He's just finishing another delivery as we speak..., oh and he's here." Jenny answers back as the new doctor walks in.

Maine turned  to Dr. Faulkerson and caught him giving her a wink which in turn made her nervous once again. But she didn't have time to dwell on those feelings because the main door opened and the paramedics arrived with a screaming pregnant patient. Everyone in the room automatically started moving. The rest of the surgery went well as 2 crying but alive identical twins (albeit premature) were delivered via an emergency Caesarian section.

All in all, everyone was happy it went smoothly. The rest of the staff in the room congratulated Dr. Faulkerson for a job well done.

"And that's how we welcome our new OB's on this unit. Baptism by fire", Jenny teased the new doctor.

RJ in turn took it all in stride and thanked everyone for their help. Meanwhile, Maine quietly slipped out and was in the middle of washing her hands when she felt a presence behind her.

"Maine? How are you feeling? Should you be working?" RJ asked while staring at her back.

Maine took a deep breath and counted from 1-10 before turning around to face the person she never expected to see again. She glanced at his face and she felt self conscious all of a sudden. She couldn't even look him in the eye.

"Get it together, Maine. You're a fuckin' grown up professional. Answer his question", she whispers to herself.

She tried to look at him again but she ended up trying to tuck her imaginary stray hairs behind her ear instead.

"I'm feeling better, thank you. I don't honestly know what happened earlier", Maine answered back looking at the floor.

She then saw RJ's feet starting to move towards her and she panicked! "ANYWAY, welcome to FBU! Got to go to work" she said a bit too loud as she tried to slip past him.

RJ grabbed a hold of her wrist and whispered "you can't keep running and hiding you know."

Maine shook his hand off and whispered back, "I know but I will until I can't anymore" as she walked out the door.

RJ was left standing by himself unsure if he should run after her or just let her be. He opted to leave her alone, for now. He noticed the slight tremors on her hand when he held her wrist. He noticed how her voice shook when she answered him. He noticed her distinct scent that he could identify anywhere because she alone elicits it. The smell of strawberries and vanilla mixed together with a hint of lemon. Come on, who would have thought that this new job he landed came with this much excitement (professionally and personally).

"Run and hide Maine, run and hide. I will take great pleasure in seeking you out" he thought to himself as he whistles an unnamed tune, walking towards his sleep room.

*************************************************
Note:
What the fuck! I didn't think that writing a story could be this challenging! I'm seriously struggling on how to get the story going! Ugh! Again, comments, suggestions and criticisms are most welcome. Thank you.