Dream

"Shit! I'm late! Good job RJ! It's your first day on your new job and you choose today to sleep through your alarm! Good job" Dr. Richard Faulkerson Jr. (RJ to his friends), mumbles to himself as he pulls his black Mercedes G-wagon onto his assigned parking spot. He woke up 1 hour late this morning and as a result he was so disoriented and now scrambling to make it on time.

Today is the start of his 3 year contract with Surrey Memorial Hospital as one of the 4 newly hired OB-GYN. After being a locum for the past 5 years, moving from one province to another, he has finally landed a job that he feels is the right fit for him.

As soon as RJ got off the elevator onto the 2nd floor, he practically ran to the male locker room to change into hospital scrubs. He then (again) ran to the report room of the Family Birthing Unit for the shift change handover report. As he neared the report room, he slowed down to a walk and glanced at his watch. "Yes! 2 minutes to spare! Good job RJ", he thought to himself accompanied by a self congratulatory smirk. If he was being honest with himself, he was actually very nervous but at the same time excited to face this new chapter in his life. The last 2 years (21 months to be exact) had been quite challenging for him mentally. Those months could be counted as the most confusing (and most likely depressing) months in his 31 years of existence. Yes, RJ tended to border on the melodramatic but nobody needed to know that except him. He usually projects this 'I'm a confident alpha male' aura yet in actuality he is a little unsure and insecure.

RJ took a deep calming breath before he stepped into the report room which by now was filled with the oncoming staff for the day. "Good morning everyone. For those I haven't met yet, I'm Dr. Richard Faulkerson, the newbie..." But before he can finish his introduction, a banging sound can be heard as something falls to the floor. He slowly turned his head to look for the source of the sound. For a split second he forgot to breathe when his eyes collided with the wide brown eyes that he thought he would NEVER see again! Then it hit him! ITS HER! All of a sudden a smile broke out of his face which emphasized the lone deep dimple on his left cheek. He zoned in on those brown eyes and he started to step towards the owner. He failed to notice the other 25 people in the room whom by now are all staring at the new doctor and their PCC. He failed to notice that Maine was hyperventilating and turning white as sheet by the second. He failed to notice the fear that has now taken over her eyes. He barely made it in time to catch her as she lost all consciousness!