Chapter 17

“Anything else you would like to add?” The short bubbly blonde adjusted her glasses, as she took one more look at Paul’s resume.

Ah.

When he saw the advertisement online for a casual position as an office assistant Paul couldn’t resist. ‘Looking for a neat and well organized person.’

“Only that here, seems like a really good place for me to grow within the company, and everyone here seems very friendly…I’ll look forward to hearing from you, that is if you choose me…Lara,” Paul smiled confidently.

Lara leaned forward Paul though she was about to kiss him, but she put her mouth next to his ear, “Look off the record, we really need someone and the last ten people I’ve interviewed have been weird.

I like you Lara…you don’t think I’m weird?

“Thank you madam,” Paul put on a posh accent, he somehow knew she would find this funny, and she did.

“Why thank you sir,” Lara giggled.

Still think I’m not weird?

Paul stepped outside of the large office building; he loosened his tie that was part of his job outfit. The sky was darkening, and he hoped for rain; his favourite weather.

If there were a rain god, I would pray to it.

 He scanned the busy street; the building was in the main business district not too far from where Bill Darsen was staying. People of all sorts were rushing about either, running back inside buildings for lunch breaks or running out for lunch breaks.  None seemed to enjoy the oncoming darkness as much as he.

Why do you all have to rush around? It’s like a thousand fucking rats running for one seed.

Someone smashed into Paul from behind; he heard liquid hit the ground as he jerked forward. Paul spun only to see a girl standing with coffee all over her shirt. She was beautiful; her long brown blowing in the wind, which was bringing in more rain soon. 

Are you that fucking blind?

“Are you okay?” Paul looked at her curiously she had, also dropped her bag of goods, he bent down and scooped them up for her.

“I’m so sorry,” her voice was sincere, “I’ve been having the worst year, but this just tops off my day. 

“No need to be sorry,” Paul looked over the contents that belonged you the young woman, they were all different designs of clothes, “These are pretty good,” Paul handed the papers back to her some of them were now a little wet from spilt iced coffee.

“Thanks."

 “You don’t look the type to have a bad year,” Paul scanned her, she certainly had looks.

I bet you get your own way with everything.

 “You heading in there,” Paul thumbed the office building he just left.

 “Yeah I work there now, saving money to fund my clothing and music,” she carefully packed her papers away again.

 “Cool I just had an interview with Lara.”

 “Oh maybe we will be working together then? Lara is nice,” the girl wiped her coffee stained shirt.

 “In that case my name is Paul,” he winced at having to shake her sticky coffee hand.

 “Maggie, I got to go, I am late…as usual, public transport sucks. See you around maybe and sorry and thanks,” she disappeared into the building.