Chapter 5

Just as Paul had anticipated the disappearance of Candy hadn’t gone unnoticed. Neither had Candy’s advances towards him, everything was recorded on the churches security footage. He looked around Alvin’s office he had been summoned to. Alvin was sitting behind the large marble desk falsely smiling, as he watched replays of church video recordings.

He took a quick look around the room, and was happy there was an area in this place camera free. Though this appeared to be merely the monitoring room.

A little too clean.

“Take a seat Paul.”

Even the chairs were fancy they were like lounge suite chairs, and who ever sat opposite Alvin sat lower.

Expensive taste eh.

And now he sat across from Alvin in the dark office lit by only a few dim wall lights. The room was predominantly marble, and behind the desk was all glass presenting a beautiful view of the city below.

 “Candy has disappeared,” Alvin said, straight out with no hint of accusation.

“Really?”

 “Surely you must have noticed it’s been a week now, and her parents don’t know where she is. They’ve filed a report with the authorities,”

“Oh my god. That is terrible…now you mention I have not seen her for over a week,” Paul shifted his posture to resemble Alvin’s more relaxed state.

“Paul, please…don’t take the lords name in vein like that,” Alvin moved a monitor so he, and Paul could both see the recording. It was one of Paul, and Candy’s last encounter where she had questioned him about the shelter.

God if you are real please kill the audio on this footage.

The screen showed Paul angrily pushing Candy up against the wall.

Okay, that does not look good. Keep it together now.

“Unfortunately there is no audio, but it looks like an intense moment you both shared. Would you care to inform me?”

“I pushed her up against the wall because I knew you were watching, I wanted to see if security came rushing in. It was foolish I know,” Paul’s posture was failing him. 

“Why are you lying to me Paul?” Alvin’s gaze was powerful.

Paul stood up out of his chair flustered, “How about I blow your whole operation out of the water. You are no more then a cult leader.”

“Perhaps we should shake hands, and part ways?” Alvin offered.

“Perhaps we should,” Paul agreed.

Paul left the church, as fast as possible stopping only to retrieve his notepad from the bible study room to destroy some evidence at least. His head was spinning he needed to get to his sanctuary, and clean it one more time then meet Veena and his sister for a run, and get an early night for an early start at work.

When it rains it pours.

Paul didn’t rush cleaning the sanctuary it was too important, once finished he collected the photos of his victims to be locked away in a safe until he was thinking more rationally. When it came time for the run with Veena, and Carina he rushed them through much to Veena’s annoyance who struggled to keep up anyway.

I don’t get to drink coffee all day like you.

“What’s your rush?” Veena asked, annoyed trying to catch her breath.

A crazy cultist is possibly aware I killed one of his disciples.

“Nothing, I just want to have an early night,” he slowed down for her.