Chapter 16

To Jenna

Paul crashed onto his bed after taking twenty milligrams of Valium buzzed, he felt relaxed for the first time in days. He gulped down a glass of milk, and for the moment the thirst was quenched Fash was not on his mind.

Maybe I can trust Alvin? No don’t trust anyone. I can’t trust myself lately why did I take the Valium? I should kill Slick Steve for selling me this, but it feels good.

Paul woke the next morning sleeping through his alarm; he was disorientated from the affects of Valium. He stumbled around the room trying to neaten things that were out of place, and get organized.

Fash? Alvin? What was next?

 “What are you doing we’re suppose to be going to the driving range to hit some balls today,” Carina burst into his room, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah? I’m getting ready,”

Driving range with Carina to practice for our golf match, now I remember. Now get out.

“You look out of it brother,” Carina placed a hand on his forehead.

 “I’m fine,” he brushed her hand away, continuing getting his outfit together.

“Nice hit, you are so precise at everything!” Carina admired her brother’s effortless driving ability.

This is the most boring shit ever, what was I thinking doing this to focus?

 “Thanks,” Paul smiled.

 I need to talk to Alvin. 

“You’re still not telling me what is really upsetting you Paul,” Carina said, just before striking the ball, her skills were nowhere near her brothers. 

Paul smashed another ball with all of his strength hitting the most distant sign available, “Don’t keep pushing me Carina.”  

 Carina placed her golf club up against a rusty railing, and looked out at the range where hundreds of balls now lay like eggs. “You know what’s bugging me?”

“What?” No mind games today little sister!

“This serial killer?”

“How is it bugging you?”

Carina shifted her attention to Paul, who was still gripping his club, “Well the murders all seem so soon after each other. The guy doesn’t even have a cool off period like they’re supposed to, according to my studies.”

She’s fucking right I haven’t had a break. That’s my trouble.

 “He just seems odd, not like the ‘normal’ ones you read about” Carina continued.

 Paul squeezed his golf club tightly there were no other people at the driving range today, except the old man who charged them the fee to hit, “Carina, don’t think about it too much it’s unhealthy for you.”

“Sorry Fash, I couldn’t make it yesterday something came up,” Paul cleared his throat, lying was easy for him but doing it to a detective made him edgy.  They were both sitting together in the same unit Paul was previously paying for, he took up Fash’s offer to pay since he was now jobless.

 “It’s okay.”

 “So where were you?” Fash slapped herself, “Ah I just sounded like a detective.”

 “You are a detective, and a good one. I was talking to your boss actually,” he told the truth, she would find out anyway.

 “Bill talked to you? About what?”