Part 15 - Fish, Water and Fire

Magsimula sa umpisa

****Chance's POV******

I looked at Annie in front of me, her cheek bones being the only things I could see, but I could also see that she was smiling. She always had a soft spot for nature. I rowed slowly, timing it with hers, seeing her look at everything around us. I could also tell she was listening to the sounds, her ears perking up at every new sound we'd hear.

I kept myself distracted earlier, catching fishes, so I wouldn't be tempted to talk to Annie. I know she's ignoring me, and she has every right to that's why I made sure I wouldn't talk to her. I know she wants me to try, at least, but I can't let her not punish me, and this is my way of making sure she sticks to ignoring me. Amanda called again last night,talking about her day and how guys flirted with her. I couldn't care less, but it's my fault anyway.

As we walked back to camp after kayaking, silently might I add, I got a red flag thing that I think is one of our markers. When we got back, the games were just almost done, seeing as we kayaked slowly, 'enjoying' the sights. I heard last night from a couple of my guy friends that they heard something about Annie and me, and I just brushed it off, being nonchalant. We are going to practice later for our dance for the talent competition tomorrow, more time than yesterday's since we just did a dance from lat year. Me and the guys got into the finals, and Annie did, too, with her emo kind of acting.

I could tell even Seth was impressed by her, and he hugged her after, congratulating her. I wished I could've, but she'd hate herself if she let me off the hook easily. I don't even know why I made that promise to her, even when I didn't have to. I just didn't know Amanda would be really annoying and all that. We have an amazing race type of race later, and it looked fun and challenging from the figures.

I saw the leader board, and we were only a point behind the other senior homeroom group, making us second. Since Annie's my buddy, she's also my partner for the race since we signed up for it yesterday, before she got mad. I don't know how we're going to finish since we're going to be ignoring each other, but I hope we can since I know she wants to win. She's always been a competitive type.

When we went to the starting line of the race, where they gave us our first cards, there were only 8 partners, including us. We had signed up first for the our senior group, and I didn't know there would only be one pair representing each team. I looked at Annie as she read the card with a focused face, and she smiled, walking forward, not bothering to tell me anything, which I already guessed. There were cheers from our group for us to win, and they disappeared as we went into the forest. I looked around, trying to figure out where we were heading, but I couldn't at all. I didn't explore that much yesterday, but I did discover a big cave.

I stopped when Annie abruptly stopped in front of a gigantic oak tree, a yellow box on a post by it's side. Annie must've known this was what the card asked for. She didn't make a move to get the card inside the box, so I guess she was giving it to me. I didn't look at her as I put my hand inside the box and took out a yellow card with the school's logo on it.

I opened it, and it read,"Shelter from the storms of cave men before fire was born. Darkness engulfs it, and fire is discovered."

Like a light bulb, it clicked. The cave. I think I remembered the path from the river, and we were just near it, so I followed the river and turned right when I saw the familiar red tree, which I don't know what it's called. I looked back, seeing Annie looking around as she followed me, but she stopped. I saw her move into the forest, but she quickly came back behind me, and I saw a red flag in her pocket. I smiled as I headed forward, trying to remember the cave.

When I could see it up ahead, I jogged to it, grinning as I noticed one of our teachers inside, torches on the walls. Ms. Auburn smiled at us and congratulated us for being the first ones to get there.

"Now, you have to make a fire with only these before I give you your next card," she said, handing us a box.

Annie took the box and sat on the ground, not minding if she gets dirty. I knelt beside her as she opened the box, revealing char cloth, dry grass, flint and steel. I know she loves making fires with these, so I let her do it by herself. I watched as she used the flint and steel, sparks flying to the char, and she put it on the tinder, making it glow. She was really concentrating, a few beads of sweat on her forehead. It wasn't dark here since daylight was entering, and there were torches at the sides. The cave had a damp, earthy smell, and it seemed to make her more determined.

She got it burning in no time, stood up, swiped her forehead and grinned, looking down at the fire burning. Ms. Auburn congratulated us again, gave us the card and sent us off. The other senior partner just arrived as we left, red and sweating. Annie took the card this time, scanned it, looked confused, then her face lit up. I stared at her reddening cheeks, her lips slightly open as she looked at the card. She looked up and met my gaze, quickly turning away to the opposite direction.

We arrived in a clearing near our camp site, where there were archery bows and targets. I saw another teacher of ours, greeted her, and she told us we had to get three bulls-eye shots. I knew Annie sucked at this, and this was one of the sports I had learned, so I took the bow and aimed for the targets. After hitting the middle perfectly, in a row, we were sent off again, and I took the card this time.

I actually thought this would be hard since we're not talking, but it isn't actually. I read the card, and it said,"Flows from heaven to a pool, cool and cross."

I read it again and again, walking aimlessly, Annie right behind me. I couldn't figure it out, which Annie must've noticed since she swiped it out of my hand abruptly. I looked at her as she read it, and she smiled at the card. She then lead us away from the site, and I heard the flow of water. We must've been near since Annie smiled again.

When we entered a clearing, there was a small waterfall to the right of the water. It sparkled in the sun, and there were fruit trees on the other side. We spotted boats at our side, and we didn't think twice as we rode in it. We saw another teacher at the opposite end of the lake, which made Annie's hunch true.

I saw Annie lean over, looking at the water, and I smiled internally. She looks like a child whenever she's around water. When she leaned, the boat rocked a little, and I thought nothing of it. As I kept rowing, looking at the bright, blue sky, I didn't notice Annie leaning over too much until she yelped and the boat rocked much more.

My eyes widened, and I put the rows in as she was about to fall. I quickly grabbed her by the waist, but I wasn't thinking right since it only made me lose balance, too. And the boat leaned too much on the right. almost falling. I quickly jumped out when I realized we were just toppling the boat. I was still holding her waist as we submerged, both of us holding our breaths. It was impulse, reflex if you must, I couldn't help it.

The water felt cool, and it was clear. I opened my eyes under the water, only to stare at Annie's sparkling hazel ones. Her eyes were wide, her cheeks puffed, and she quickly surfaced, but I forgot I was still holding her by the waist. I hastily let go of her and resurfaced, too. She looked around, avoiding eye contact with me. The boat wasn't that far, but I don't think she wanted to ride it anymore, being in the water already.

"Are you alright!?" Mrs. Lorden shouted from the shore.

"Yes, ma'am," Anna said back and made eye contact with me.

I knew she wanted to just swim to shore, and I didn't even have the chance to nod before she swam away. My clothes weren't that heavy, it was bearable, so I followed behind her. When we got to shore, we dismissed Mrs. Lorden's fussing and got the card.

I took the card, and it said,"The last of obstacles have been passed, now comes an easy task. Count the total points on the leaderboard, and tell it to the overseer."

It meant we had to go back to camp. I gave the card to Annie, and we both headed back, swimming, passing two partners along the way, noticing our wet state. When we got there, our friends were cheering us on, and we headed to the leader board, counted the total score, then went to the headmaster on the stage. We told him, and he congratulated us, being the first pair to come back. Annie grinned, and we cheers erupted, even from those not in our group. I smiled at Annie, and to my surprise she smiled back. But, she must've noticed her slip up since she looked away, catching Seth's eyes.

The headmaster was worried since we got wet when we fell overboard, but we assured him and everybody else.

When we went down, she was immediately engulfed in a hug by Seth, and then group hugged by her friends even though she was soaked. They were going to hug me, too, but I walked away, frowning. I couldn't stop my self from talking to Annie if I stayed.

This afternoon, we have buddy activities, and I'm not sure they'll be as easy as the race. At least we got points for our team. Most of the people asked why we were wet, and I told them we fell, but they wondered how we could've, and I didn't feel like discussing Annie's fascination with water.

__________________________________________

Eck... I'm going to make Chancey all jealous on the next chapter, so votes and comments for that one if you want that, that is XD

Okay,.............. Put a ♥ if you read both author's notes. :D :D :D

Who wanted them to make up? Tell me. XD And your reasons, too.. XD

And, who voted for Anne ignoring him? Tell me your reasons, too. XD Haha.. I wanna see what you think....

;)

Oh XD BTW I didn't have much time to fully edit, so please tell me if you see any grammar mistakes. XD I saw one earlier, and I was like,"What the flip!? How could I have written that!?" I was eating, so a few bits ended up on the keyboard. XD haha.. Well, that's what happens when you type without looking.