Chapter 44

{Soul's POV}

"Lord Death? We've picked up a new soul wavelength," Professor Stein announced, breaking the silence that had fallen over the distressed party of Meisters and weapons.

"Oh, Really?" Lord Death inquired, removing himself from his position by one of the windows in Maka and Soul's apartment and walking over to Steins side, who was hunched over a small laptop on Maka's desk. He leaned forward and examined the screen that the professor was so attached to. "Could it be her?"

Stein nodded. "Yes, I should think so. However, I cannot detect any other souls within a at least miles radius, meaning that either y/n has already escaped and is on her way back, or that Phiona has casted a glamour over all other souls in the region, which would be... Smart, but not subtle."

"How so?" Lord Death asked, pressing Stein to continue.

"Well, it would lead one to assume that within Phiona's grasp there is something to be hidden... something powerful... which could be an army of souls or... One, very large one."

"How large?" he frowned, examining the screen.

Stein sighed, and started zooming out of the map shown on the laptop, and he continued to zoom out until what they hoped was y/n's soul was a mere dot on the screen, barely visible. "Here is the nearest visual soul," said the professor, pointing at another tiny dot. "Thirty seven miles away."

"My my, that is very large indeed," remarked death, stepping away and turning his back on the computer. "Very, very large..."

Stein leaned back in his wheelie chair, rubbed the bridge of his nose and readjusted his glasses. He spun around to face the rest of the room and looked over each of the students.

"What's the best plan of action?" Maka asked, glancing nervously between the professor and the headmaster. She sat up straight, her posture straight and firm, though it was clear to all that she was hiding her true, terrified self.

"Well I say we storm the place!" Announced Blackstar, jumping onto the coffee table with a victorious pose. "All we gotta do, is make a real first impression, and then-!"

"It's your fault that y/n has even gotten into this mess!"

The whole room jumped at the sudden raging voice from what had previously been the quietest corner of the room. There, sat Kid: head down, slouched forward, legs spread out and his elbows resting on his thighs. From under his messy crop of black hair, his golden eyes blazed ferociously.

"What shall happen if we do in fact storm the place, hmm? What happens if we show up there, thinking we are ready to take on the world, but when we get there, Phiona has the latest reincarnation of the apocalypse all tied up with a filthy little chain, angry, and ready to tear everything it sees into tiny, shredded pieces. What happens if we all die, and then she lets whatever monstrous creature she has in her possession loose on the world? We had no way of knowing how strong or prepared she was, of what we were up against, so how will the academy? What will happen when halfway through third period, a gargantuan monster swallows the school whole? I'll tell you what will happen, Blackstar," Kid practically spat the boys name, as though it felt disgusting and putrid on his tongue. "There will be no one left to defend the world from Kishins, that's what will happen, and the world will fall into a perilous pool of death, hatred, violence, depression and destruction. Forests will be ablaze, oceans will dry and life as we know it will stop being. And as humanity drowns in perilous pool's poisonous waters, who will drown with it? Y/n."

He stood from his seat and made his way over to the speechless boy, and stood face to face, his eyes staring down the assassins, who dared not look into the vehement golden eyes of his challenger.

"So tell me, Blackstar," Kid spoke in a calm tone, though his body language was beyond wrathful. "Do you have any other suggestions on how we can fuck things up any more? Or have you finally come to terms with what a flaming, useless imbecile you are?"

No one spoke.

Not a single voice dared come out to defend Blackstar, for fear of Kid's wrath.

Kid leaned in close to Blackstar's ear, and very quietly and very gently, whispered

"I pity every soul who has ever suffered the immeasurable misfortune of meeting you."

And with that, Kid left the room.