Chapter 29

{Y/n's POV}

"Nurse?!" I called out, rushing to the bed. "Nurse!!"

Within seconds I heard her pumps clacking on the marble floor, and a loud gasp emitted from behind me. I turned to face her, rage churning in my gut.

"Where is he?" I snarled venomously, furious that she could let this happen. She didn't reply, she only opened and closed her mouth in shock like a dumb goldfish, which at the time felt like a reasonable comparison.

I let my gaze return to the bare bedsheets, the blankets tossed onto the floor in a heap and the window wide open. Surely, if Soul was wounded enough to be condemned to bed rest he must have made some noise while he escaped the school!

"I-I-I'm so sorry, h-he made no sound... I was ri-right outs-side the door and..."

I rolled my eyes at her pathetic stuttering, and without wasting another moment leapt for the window, intent on catching Soul, wherever he had gone.

It had been clear from the distance between the bedsheets on the floor and the bed that Soul had gotten up himself, and he hadn't been forced out of the bed as a hostage or the nurse would have heard conversing, which crossed out Soul being taken, meaning he had left of his own free will.

And if he had left in such a hurry, tossing aside any thoughts of his -apparently very needed- recovery, he would have needed a motive. I racked my brain for what his motive may have been and came up with two options:

A) Making sure I was safe

B) Fighting his attacker

And when I considered who the attacker was, I came up with two suspects:

A) Phiona

B) Kid

However, the nurse had told me he had been attacked and bombed, and knowing the witch, she would not be clumsy enough to use a bomb and not make sure the target was killed.

So, without knowing how long ago Soul had escaped, and what was waiting for me at my destination,  I followed the small droplets of blood here and there in the direction Kid's mansion.

{Timeskip}

I was almost at the house when I was interrupted.

"Y/n!" I heard a familiar voice call out, and turned to face the young Shinigami running towards me with a smile on his face, waving his hand in the air excitedly.

"Kid," I breathed out, forcing a fake smile as I hid the fact I was terrified oh him as best as I could.

Kid wasn't the same. He was vicious, angry, unstable. I, however, was still the same.

I could never kill a friend.

But Kid?

He had changed.

"I was just looking for you," he beamed when he reached me. "What are you doing running on the roofs? Is there a kishin?"

I smiled and shook my head. "Nope, just exercising," I giggled with a wink.

Please fall for it Kid.

He frowned. "On the roof?"

"Tracks are boring."

"Why not the road?"

"Still boring."

"The roofs are dangerous, y/n."

"I kill monsters for extra credit, Kid."

He thought about this for a moment, before he burst out laughing. Hysterically.

"You're to funny, y/n," he grinned.

I shrugged. "What can I say?"

Kid kept smiling, but his face darkened and his hair fell over his eyes. Next thing I knew, he was holding me above the ground, his hand around my throat, my legs flailing as I struggled to breathe.

"You can say what you were doing on the roof."

I couldn't breathe. I hadn't expected the attack. He had switched from jovial, friendly Kid to complete psychopath in a matter of seconds.

My throat was burning, my windpipes being crushed. My vision became dappled with black spots as the pressure of rushing blood built up inside my head, my heart and lungs panicking, trying to figure out why they couldn't function. I pulled at his fingers frantically, trying to kick him, swipe at him, but in my panic I couldn't transform without guaranteeing I would kill him, but with his grip as strong as steel it seemed as though one of us was going to die.

"K-Kid..!"

"Let her go!"

Out of nowhere I was thrown violently threw the air. I screamed.  My spine crashed into the corner of a chimney. Kid yelled. Smoke flew into the sky. The roof caved in. I grasped for a ledge, pipes, anything to avoid falling. My fingers slipped. The ground disappeared. I fell.