Chapter 32

{Tashi's POV}

I always hated hospitals. It's probably why I avoided the infirmary as much as I could.

I felt bad for not going to visit people in them- especially whenever y/n was going to visit someone- but I just couldn't take it. I hated the LED lights, the weird smell of medicine and disinfectants, the tacky linoleum floors that made your shoes go clack with each step, the squealing of steel trolley wheels or the overall uncomfortableness that came with being around someone sick, or dying.

When someone's dying in the midst or aftermath battle, I can be there for them. No problem. I will hold their hand, tell them how brave they were and how incredibly they fought, because I believe everything I'm saying. But when someone's dying in a hospital room...

"Tashi?"

Liz was standing next to the curtain, looking at me with a worried expression.

"What is it?" I asked, rubbing my tired eyes. They were red and swollen due to my lack of sleep, and my vision had gone blurry.

"She'll be okay. You have to get some sleep."

I nodded. I knew I had to sleep, I hadn't in a few days, but I just couldn't. I had nodded off here and there, but I would always snap awake whenever I thought I felt her cold hand move, but always awoke to her face still pale, her eyes still shut.

Liz rolled her eyes. "You say that, but you're not going to sleep here. Every time I or Patti or one of your other friends," she put an emphasis on the word 'friends', "comes in you're still awake."

I didn't respond. I was too tired, I couldn't think of anything to say, and when I could I was barely able to move my lips. All the energy had been drained from me- physical or emotional.

I returned my gaze to y/n's sleeping face. Her skin was paler than usual, her cheeks had a pink tint and her breathing was ragged and slow.

"I miss her," I finally said.

Liz didn't reply. A few seconds later I felt her arms wrap around my neck and her head rest on my shoulder.

"I know you do," she breathed. "It's only been three days-"

"Three days too long."

I felt her stiffen, then nod. "Three days too long. But she'll be okay. She's a fighter."

I leaned forward in my chair, squeezing y/n's hand as I tried to hold back tears.

"I'm so worried," I admitted. "She's so prone to nightmares. She has them almost every night." I looked up at her emotionless face, showing no sign or fear, or joy, or anything. To the world outside, she may as well have been dead. "She must be going through hell."

Liz stood up, keeping her hands on my shoulders and I felt her shrug. "You don't know that. She might be dreaming of good things. She might not be dreaming at all."

"She has to be dreaming. Our brains never switch off, not even when we're dead. She has to be dreaming."

"You don't know that. I haven't heard of anything being proven that people in comas dream or don't dream-... I-I mean, n-not a coma! B-b-because she's not in a coma!!! She's just unconscious!! Haha!!"

"Nice going Liz."

She sighed. "I'm sorry Tashi. I'm trying. I just need to know, even though y/n may not be okay, that you are. You need to be okay. It's what y/n would want."

"Whatever."

Sighing one last time, I felt Liz's hands slip away from me, and she slowly left the room, leaving me, once again, alone.

Even though I technically wasn't alone, since y/n was there... I'd never felt so lonely...