Chapter 41

{Y/n's POV}

It was dark.

Dark, and... Cold.

Very cold.

I couldn't see, not even my hand when I waved it in front of my face. I sat up, reaching out in front of me so I wouldn't bang my head on anything.

I could feel the ground beneath me: it was a cold, damp rock, hard and gritty against my fingernails and the sliver of bare flesh between my stockings and skirt. I traced my hand over the crevices of the rock, feeling the bumps and ridges to be sure that I wasn't dreaming.

I usually was dreaming, whenever I woke up in the dark. I'd open my eyes and be surrounded by pitch black. Only difference was, I was usually on a marble or concrete floor in those dreams, and it was never this cold.

"Hello?" I called out into the darkness, praying someone would respond but deep in my stomach I knew that a silence as deep and empty as the one that had swallowed me could never be host to another being. I would hear them breathing, or scuffling. Instead, I heard nothing.

I called out again, and again, until I finally gave up. With my arms raised above my head, I stretched my body into a stand. Even on my tippy toes I couldn't feel a ceiling, and decided jumping wasn't worth the risk of potential injuries.

Hesitantly, I put one foot in front of the other, stumbling slightly on the slippery stone that held no friction beneath the soles of my feet. It smelled strange in that place, like a mix of sweat, iron and smoke. Gross.

I kept walking for another ten minutes or so until my hands finally felt something in front of me. I traced my fingers over the surface of the object, and came to the conclusion that it was made of wood.

'It's times like these,' I thought, 'When it would be really handy to have equipped a flamethrower beforehand.'

I kept inspecting the wood, going on my tip-toes and discovering it was about the same height as me- maybe a couple inches taller- and onto the ground where it disconnected from the floor with a gap big enough for the tip of my pinky.

'A door?'

I felt around the sides until my hand reached a doorknob. I mentally cheered, and twisted the knob, but the door wouldn't budge. I pulled it, shoved it and shook it, but it wasn't moving.

'Drastic times.'

I swapped my hand out for a spiked mace.

'Call for drastic measures.'

CRASH!!!

"That'd do it," I said to myself.

Stepping through the gap I'd made in the doorway, I was once again surrounded by dark, but this time there was a light at the end of the tunnel- literally.

"Hello?" I called out again, and again there was no reply. "This place is so weird..."

I still couldn't hear any noise that sounded man-made, but rather than the complete emptiness I found in the other room, this time I was accompanied by an incessant drip drop in the distance.

As I drew closer to the glow, the dripping slowly grew louder. Closer and closer still, until the light was just about in sight, when...

"Oh my god."

* * *