Chapter 37

{Soul's POV}

Slice!

I did it.

I got her.

Y/n stopped moving and looked down at the scythe going through her leg. Kid stared, his eyes wide with shock at the blood blood slowly starting to drip onto the floor.

Moments passed of uncomfortable silence, until y/n calmly pulled her leg away from the scythe and, the sound her flesh tearing making me feel ill.

She took a step back, but before she could do anything else Kid kicked her legs out from under her. She fell in a swoop, her body crashing onto the floor.

She shakily tried to stand back up. Kid put his foot on her back and shoved her back down onto the floor.

"So that's what this is about?" he growled in a deep, angry voice, his golden eyes shooting her harsh glares.

"You..." she began, but stopped.

Oh no.

"Kid!" I screamed, jumped over y/n, and tackled Kid onto the ground. A second later, y/n's back exploded into hundreds of massive, steel spines, jagged and thick. They shot into the air, bursting through stone walls and nearly severing my head from my body.

The hallway became enveloped in a cloud of dust, the sound of metal on metal rang on and on until eventually the dust cloud settled and the blades stopped.

When we looked back at where y/n had lay, she was gone. Stein showed up at the end of the corridor and ran to us to make sure we were okay. Kid informed him of what happened in a calm, monotone voice while I watched the silhouette of a girl running along the schools roof through a gap in the ceiling.

{Timeskip}

"She thinks we killed Tashi," Death the Kid informed his father.

Lord Death nodded. "I see, and she does not know that Tashi is alive?"

Kid shook his head.

"Well, have you made sure Tashi is alive?" Lord Death inquired.

"Yes," Kid replied. "We made sure Tashi was safe, and brought him back here with us to keep it that way. He knows nothing of what y/n is talking about."

Lord Death nodded once more and returned to his mirror. "I see. This must be that witches doing."

"It seems that way."

"Well," he went on, "she must have found a way to control y/n's mind, I suppose. She may have tricked her into thinking Tashi was killed, and since y/n does not know that the Kid she fought down the street was a doppelgänger she probably still blamed you." He glanced a Kid. "And since Soul was the reason she got into that fight with Kid, she probably resents you too." He glanced at me.

"How am I the reason?" I asked.

Lord Death answered, "Had you not left the infirmary to fight the Kid doppelgänger she would not have chased you, therefore the fight would have never occurred and she never would have been wounded."

"But how did the witch get to y/n's head in the first place?" Kid questioned his father, who frowned in perplexity.

"There are many ways for a witch to get inside someone's head, but I assume it was when y/n was asleep for the past four days. But that's not long enough for a witch to get into anyone's head. Y/n may have been fighting this for some time."

Realization hit me. "Night terrors!" I accidentally shouted out.

Lord Death and his son both looked at me like I was insane. "Night terrors," I said again, in a normal tone. "Y/n has nightmares all the time. According to Tashi, it's been just under two months, but that's just what she's told him. She could have been having them for a lot longer."

"Two months..." Death thought on this. "Yes, that's probably enough time for the witch to have gained control."

"What should we do?"

"Get y/n and Tashi together. It may be dangerous and she will probably lash out, but when she sees him she may come to her senses long enough for him to explain to her how the witch and the nightmares may be linked."

Kid nodded. He spun on his heel and made his way out of the office.

"Hey Kid, slow down," I called out to the young shinigami, running after him. Deaths door shut behind me and he turned around and faced me with a bored expression.

"You shouldn't run. You were just in a bad fight and your scar hasn't healed yet," said he.

I rolled my eyes. "When it comes down to cool guys like me, trivial things like flesh wounds are a breeze." Kid rolled his eyes and I could tell he found my comment annoying, so I kept going. "Look, we have to work together on this, alright? I know you still love y/n, and you know I do too, but that doesn't matter. For now we should team up and save her together, for her sake."

Kid sighed, turned his back and replied, "I suppose you're right. However disappointed I am in how much danger you put y/n in-"

"Hey no fa-!"

"I doubt I could live with myself should she die on my account, or on anyone's account for that matter. So, if teaming up is what will save her," he spun and walked towards me and raised his hand in front of me, "then team up we shall."

I grinned, grabbed his hand in mine and shook it.

"Let's go save y/n."

***

Well? How terrible was that? Really bad? Slightly bad?

I feel like my chapters are getting worse, so if you guys have some advice or an opinion on the latest update, please let me know! It's all for the greater good of the story!

Anyway, I haven't written an A/N in ages but I just wanted to let you guys know that I am over the moon with the appreciation this story is getting, and I never really understood when people with fans said they loved them fans, but I well and truly adore you guys!!!

Thank you so much for the support and all the hilarious comments you leave (seriously, I've fallen off my chair at one or two) and I'm so glad you like this story and I'll continue writing as much as possible, every chance I get!!!

Xxx