Chapter 9

{Souls POV}

When we opened the front door, terror shook through me.

A few metres in front of Maka and I had been a tremendous murder of crows, a large sphere of black flapping wings and piercing red eyes the size of the platform in deaths room. Through the black flaps of wings I recognised a dark red plaid skirt and h/c hair, and a weight dropped in my stomach.

"Y/N!!" I had yelled, launching for the flock of crows. A single bird lashed out, its claw slashing my cheek, and I fell back. Maka pulled me away. The crow returned it's attention and dove through the murder, aiming straight for y/n. I yelled at it in anger but Maka continued to hold me back.

"Soul," she murmured bitterly- looking at the crowd instead of me- and I saw her outstretched hand.

"Right," I snarled and transformed into a scythe in the palm of Maka's hand. She took a battle stance and was ready to attack, when in a flash of silver light the murder was tossed back and y/n was kneeling on the cobblestones, her back arched as her bloody face was gasping at the night sky.

Her eyes were shut and unscathed, though she had a large gash going straight down just above the gap in her brows and many small cuts along her throat and collarbone.

Before I could examine the scene anymore, Maka snapped back to attention and cried out, slicing me towards a group of the crows. Their dismembered bodies fell to the ground.

I noticed y/n attack back, but kept my attention on killing the beasts. I focused on keeping my blade as sharp as possible and my handle as manoeuvrable for my Meister. Maka continued to slash and slice as more and more birds fell to the ground, till the air was clear of squawking and flapping.

I returned to my human form just as y/n's arms did as well. I hurriedly rushed to her side, carefully scooping her delicate frame
into my arms and carrying her inside.

I laid her on my bed, her breaths short and her bleeding excessive. I tore up one of my shirts that was lying around and tied it's strips around some of her many wounds before Maka came in carrying a tray which held a bowl of steaming water, a towel, some tissues and a strip of bandages. She placed it on the end of my bed and came up to stand by y/n's pillow, me sitting by her side, stroking the side of her cheek.

"That looks so painful, poor y/n..." Maka murmurs solemnly, and I simply nod. Her skin is pale, accenting the large amounts of blood even more. Her lips are chapped and her eyes surrounded by dark shadows.

The last time she looked remotely similar was in Lord Deaths room just earlier today, when Kid had calmed her down.

Kid... Calming her down... God, had that annoyed me...

Reality yanked mr back when y/n let out a heartbreaking moan of pain, her facial features twisting and the muscles in her body tensing. Moments later, she returned to normal, the sudden agony quietening down.

"I'll go get Stein," Maka announced, heading for the door.

"Yeah, I'll wait with y/n.." I replied, and turned to look at her, my face streaked with worry. "Be careful."

Maka smiled and gave me a thumbs up, before walking out of the house and slamming the door shut.

I returned my attention to y/n and noticed some of her cuts were unclean. I reached behind me and picked up the towel of the tray, dipping it in the hot water and bringing it over to y/n's wounds. I dabbed a large gash on her fore-arm, causing her to whimper.

I pushed her hair back to calm her and mumbled quiet words, saying that I would protect her from now on and she didn't have to be afraid anymore. Her quick, short breaths slowed to a regular pace and I washed some of the dirt away from her cuts.

Just as I put the towel back on the tray behind me, I heard a beautifully haunting voice sing a solemn melody, a dark, mesmerising melody....

"If you, girl, get in my way, today,
you may get a fiery surprise...

If you, boy, get in my way, today,
I'm afraid you'll have, to die.."

"Phiona."

[Time skip to the next day]

{Kids POV}

The heels of my shoes slapped against the floorboards as I ran as fast as possible through the crowded hallways of the DWMA, unaware if Patty and Liz were following me. Students glared and scowled as I shoved past them, but I didn't care, and once they realised that I was Lord Death's son they soon returned to whatever they were doing and pretended they didn't disrespect me.

I arrived at the nurses office, and stopped running. I reached for the doorknob hesitantly and slid open the door.

Inside was Soul, Maka, Tsubaki and Black Star. They were standing around one of the beds, looking sullen. I hurried over worriedly, and what I saw on the bed pained me.

Y/n lay on her back on the blood-stained mattress, her skin pale and her lips chapped, with Tashida sitting in a chair at the other side of the bed holding her hand in his, his head held down. With heaving breaths, her dyed-red chest rose and fell heavily. Her skin was painted in bruises, cuts and claw marks. Her delicate face looks tired, dark circles surrounding her eyes and a gash above the gab between her brows, pointing down. She has two small cuts on either cheek.

Even after whatever horrible thing that has happened to her, her beautiful face remains perfectly symmetrical.

"So, Kid, you finally made it," Soul growled, and I glanced up at him. He was staring at y/n, rage burning behind his red eyes.

"What happened..?" I asked quietly, returning my gaze to y/n.

"K-kid..." she breathed, surprising me. I rushed forward and leaned down next to her expectantly.

Her beautiful e/c eyes opened and looked over at me. She took in a large, wheezy breath before speaking.

"Let me... Help me... Kill her..."

[Time skip again cause this is my book so yeah :P]

{Kid's POV}

"Father," I began and he turned to face us. "Tell me as much about that witch you know."

He leaned forward, eyeing us all. Tashida had stayed behind while everyone else and I marched to fathers room.

"So, you seek revenge for y/n, am I right?" Lord death inquired, examining each of us inquisitively.

Tsubaki nodded humbly alongside Maka, though out of the corner of my eye I could see Soul. He was staring at the ground, his teeth gritted in anger.

It's had to feel spiteful towards Soul just because he cares for y/n as well as I, and I am aware that it's unfair for me to think ill of him simply because he wants to protect and take care of the same amazing girl. Despite my own jealousy and anger, I am glad someone wishes to take care of her as much as I.

"I must warn you kids, this witch is incredibly powerful. I have said it before, but I think I under-exaggerated her true strength," Father begins. "You see, the battle with Medusa and the Kishin was all very well and difficult, but you see, should it have been simply Phiona after the Kishin, I would think it would have been very unlikely for us to have won at all."

Fathers words send shivers down each of our spines. A witch that powerful? After y/n?

I hope we're enough to protect her.

"However, in this case, the witch is not after Asura or anything like him at all. She is after something that has the potential to be far stronger than Asura, you or I. Y/n; for her power is almost unmatched, her excellent skill increased by her strength and keen senses. We are not fully aware of what Phionas plans to do with y/n are, but we have got an idea. Phiona can not, under any circumstances get her hands on y/n."