Chapter 30

{Tashi's POV}

"Hey, Liz!" I called out from the back of the classroom. I wanted to talk to her today, but she was hurrying out of class inconveniently quickly, and I had to push other students out of the way in order to get to her before she was lost in the class.

"Tashi! Hey," she chirped, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek. She intertwined her fingers with mine- my large hands nearly swallowing her thin, delicate fingers whole.

"Hey," I grinned. "So, Liz..."

She put her index finger to her lips, signaling for me to be quiet, and rushed to the schools door, pulling me with her. I stumbled at first, reacting slowly to the sudden hurry, but quickly caught on and followed her at a pace similar to hers, not out running her but not falling behind either.

Once we reached the school gate and the hum of other students quietened down, she dragged me behind a corner and- after checking to make sure no one was around-, started talking.

"Tashi, I'm sorry."

I frowned. "For what? You're not breaking up with me, are you?"

I really hoped she wasn't. I'd really gotten attached to her, even with all the extra factors she brought to our 'unique' relationship.

She quickly shook her head, eyes wide. "No-no-no! I don't want to break up with you!"

I let out a sigh of relief. "Okay, good."

"I just wanted to apologize," she went on, "for, y'know... Holding you back, I guess."

"Holding me back? What do you mean?"

She shrugged. "I know you want to be out. You don't have a lot to lose from it. I mean, it's obvious y/n would be understanding about it, she's made that clear to you before, and with everyone else..."

I cupped her now tear stained cheeks in my hands and lifted her gaze to meet mine.

"Liz, it's okay. I know you worry about Patty, and even though I don't think you should I'm not going to try change your mind. I don't mind people not knowing I'm-"

I was interrupted by an enormous boom, and then a crash from about half a mile away from the academy. In about ten seconds nearly the entire school was out in the courtyard, watching as a tall town house went up in smoke and then collapsed, the remains hidden from our view behind numerous streets and rows of other homes.

"We should go check that out," Liz said. "Patty!"

"Here!!!~" she called back.

"Come on!"

Patty nodded. "Okay!"

Liz turned to look at me.

"Well? What are you waiting for?" she asked and started sprinting along with a parade of other DWMA students, some of them already weapons in their Meister's hands.

"Y/n!" I called out, but there was no response. I waited a few seconds before calling again, and then again.

"Crap..." I muttered, spun on my heel and raced after the rest of the students.

It didn't take long for me to have outrun nearly all of them, and when I noticed Liz in the crowd- wielding Patty- I grabbed her hand and pulled her with me.

"Where's y/n?!" She asked through quick breaths.

I simply looked back at her with a straight face. She was smart, so that was all she needed to understand.

"Crap," she breathed.

I returned to staring straight ahead and focused on the cloud of smoke spiraling in the sky.

I'm coming, y/n...