Chapter 39

{Soul's POV}

"Hey, Kid. Are you sure this is gonna work?" I asked him as he craned his neck to examine another empty alleyway.

He turned to look at me and cocked his brow.

"What?" I asked.

After we talked to Lord Death and Tashida, it was pitch black out, so Stein told us we'd be safer fighting y/n the next day. However, to avoid any assassinations in our sleep- which normal y/n would avoid doing, since there is no honor in killing your victims while they sleep, but we could not say the same for the y/n we were facing at the time- we all stayed in my room, taking turns being on guard.

While I was asleep and Tashi was on guard, though, Kid left, telling Tashi he'd be back in an few hours and not to wake me up. When I awoke and Tashi was the only person there, he told me Kid would be back at ten. He was back at eight

He then dragged us both out of the house, saying he had a plan, and that was how we had gotten to where we were. Walking around the streets of Death City, Kid being the only one of us who knew where we were going.

"Don't underestimate a reaper, Soul," Kid replied, and Tashi chuckled. His comment annoyed me but I remained calm and focused.

"Here we are," Kid suddenly announced, putting his hands on his hips proudly. I looked around.

"Kid." I kept looking around. "This is just an ordinary street."

He was about to answer, when there was a sudden load roar from one of the rooftops. We snapped our heads in the direction the sound came from.

"YAHOO!"

Blackstar jumped off of one of the rooftops and into our view. Y/n was directly behind him, whip arm raised, her face alight with fury.

I got it. Kid must have used Blackstar to get y/n's attention, and really there was no better man for it.

Blackstar landed on the cobblestone ground before us, causing a chain reaction of bricks flying into the air. There was another crash and in Blackstars place was y/n, the arm that was a whip just a second ago now a massive battle axe stuck in the floor.

Blackstar was next to me, a massive grin spread across his face. He was excited, but looked completely worn out. Y/n had obviously put up a vicious fight.

Y/n raised her arm, transformed it into one of the largest mallets you'll ever seen and crashed it into the cobblestones. The impact threw us all back, the power hitting me like a truck.

I landed on my back, twenty feet away from where I'd originally been. The only person left standing was y/n, who was holding the mallet over her shoulder, her eyes closed peace fully.

She whipped her out and shot me with an arrow made of compressed soul wavelength. My chest felt like it had caught on fire and been sliced open at the same time, and I bit my lip to hold back a scream of pain.

Where was Tashi?! Why hasn't y/n seen him yet?! Did she see him but not care?! Had it made her angrier?!

She shot me again, and I arched my back with a road of agony, black sparks covering my vision, stinging the skin of whatever part of me they landed on.

"Tashida!" I screamed desperately. I hurt. I hurt everywhere. I couldn't take it. Her soul wavelength was like none Id ever felt before. It was so powerful. It was too powerful.

She shot again. I lost all thought. All my body could focus on was the pain. I twitched and spasmed. My mind a frenzy. The scar on my side was bleeding uncontrollably. My eyes were rolled back into my head but my vision was white. I could feel my body trying to shut down. Trying to end the madness.

And then it all stopped.