Chapter 38 The Accident

Katniss POV

Peeta lays on the ground, coming to a short stop. I look at him in utter shock.

"Peeta!" I cry running over to him. He doesn't respond. "Oh God Peeta no........" somebody stumbles out of the car and almost falls over to us.

"What....did...what....happened?" he mutters. I ignore him and shake Peeta before I see his whole bottom half bloody. I shake and grab my phone quickly, dialing 911. They send an ambulance and I stay with Peeta the whole time. The guy who hit him is drunk and not much help. Soon a cop car and ambulance shows up. The police deal with the drunk as the paramedics rush to Peeta. I am held back by a cop as they get to work, bandaging his wounds and lifting him on the gurney. 

"Hey...hey what about me?" I cry rushing over to them as they lift him into the ambulance.

"Who are you ma'am?" one asks.

"I'm his girlfriend Katniss Everdeen." I say trying to calm down.

"Come on then, you'll come with." he says reaches out. I take his hand and he helps me it. The sirens blare as we speed down the street. The whole time my eyes are glued to Peeta. My heart is pounding with worry and fear. They start cutting his pants, socks and shoes off. I wish I could ask but my heart is in my throat and I cannot get even a peep out. Finally we arrive and they bring him out. I am taken to a waiting room with them saying they need space to work if something happens. I sit down and pull my phone out, texting Annie, Clove and Finnick. I tap my foot against the ground, hearing it echo through the small room. Soon they all reply saying their coming to the hospital. An hour then 30 minutes pass and they're here too but nothing from the doctors. I can't think, I can't breath. I keep standing up and pacing around as Annie keeps trying to calm me down. Finally somebody comes out.

"Miss Everdeen?" she says softly. I nod and rush over to her worried.

"What is it? Did something happen?" I ask tearing up again.

"Calm down Miss Everdeen he is stable right now." she says smiling. 

"What happened to him? What are his injuries?" I ask.

"Well his left leg was broken, his kneecap was shattered. His pelvis was cracked and he had light inner bleeding but we were able to bring it all under control. He should be okay." she says. "Don't worry to much Miss."

"When can I see him?" I ask. 

"Well he is still sleeping now but you can come in the morning. We have to keep him in the emergency area and no visitors are allowed. He will be watched 24/7 so if anything happens we'll call you." she says. "Can we contact his parents?" 

"No they died. He grew up with his grandparents but I can give you the number too." I say shaking.

"That would be great." she says. I give her my and their number before leaving with Annie, Clove and Finnick. The whole way home they try to make me relax but nothing is on my mind other then will Peeta be okay. We get back and the head to bed. I lay down and try my best but I cannot relax. I cannot sleep. I keep looking at the clock. 2am. 3. 4. 5. At 6 I get up, shower and head down to the Cafe. I get some hot chocolate and a muffin, sitting alone in the corner with my phone right at my side. As I look down somebody sits across from me. I look up and see Gale.

"Hey! I saw you sitting here alone. Where is Peeta?" he asks.

"He's in the hospital." I mutter. He looks at me worried.

"What happened?" he asks.

"He got hit by a car...for me." I say. 

"Oh my god Katniss." he says taking my hands. "I am so sorry. Is he okay?"

"Yes I hope I can see him today." I say looking up.

"Is there anything I  could do to help?" he asks.

"I don't think so." I say playing with my fingers.

"How about you and I go for a little walk through the gardens?" he says. "I mean just to get your mind off of things." I sigh and look down before nodding. We walk out of the cafe and then to the gardens. It's so beautiful right now. So bright and full of life. "What happened?"

"We were on our way home last night and this car sped from almost nowhere for me. Peeta pushed me out of the way." I say looking down. He sighs and rubs my back.

"Hey no don't blame yourself alright." he says. "He saved your life. He wanted to. He would never blame you. Ever." I look up to him.

"I guess you're right." I say just as my phone rings. I jump and grab it, not even looking before answering.

"Miss Everdeen?" somebody says.

"Yes!" I say.

"Peeta has woken up. He's asked to see you." she says. I smile.

"I'll be there as soon as I can." I say before thanking her and hanging up. "I gotta get to the hospital!"

"I can drive you." he says. I smile and we rush to his red jeep. Strange. A jeep? We get in and he takes me to the hospital, waiting outside as I rush inside, find out his room and head up as fast as I can. I open the door and he jumps, looking over to me. He smiles softly and I rush over to him, hugging him tightly. 

"Your an asshole!" I say crying.

"Thank you Kat." he says softly.

"Why did you do that? You could have died!" I say pulling back.

"I would to save your life." he says. "I love you. more than you know." I break down into tears again.

"I love you Peeta...but never do that again. Ever." I say hugging him tightly. I didn't think anything could ruin this moment. But I thought.......wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for this late ass update I know I AM A DICK!!! You can hate me as be like SCREW YOU but I do hope you liked this update my people!

Nikkayyy!!! :)