Chapter 31 Scared to Death

Peeta POV

The next morning I'm pulled from me sleep because of ringing. My phone. I groan and pick it up without looking who it is.

"Hello?" I say sleepily.

"Peeta! Get to the hospital right now!" its Annie? What?

"Huh? What do you mean?" I ask sitting up and rubbing my eyes.

"Katniss, something is wrong with her. She wasn't breathing when I woke up." she says. My eyes rip fully open and I jump out of bed.

"What do you mean not breathing???? What did they say?" I ask worried.

"Nothing just GET HER!!!" She screams before hanging up. I freak out and shuffle around trying to get all my clothes on before jetting out of the dorm. I rush down the hallways ad outside to crash into Gale. He looks at me confused.

"What's the hurry for?" he asks standing up and brushing dirt off his pants.

"I have to get to the hospital!" I say before running to the parking lot, getting into my car and racing there. I park and get out, running inside and to the front desk. "I am here for Katniss Everdeen."

"Are you a family member?" she asks.

"No I'm her boyfriend, her best friend called me telling me to come quick." I say out of breath.

"Ah...I am very sorry but you must wait until the doctors finish their work. You can wait with miss....Cresta in the lobby." she says. I almost protest but what am I gonna do? I huff and walk to the lobby waiting room. Annie sits in the corner, paging quickly through a magazine.

"Annie?" I say walking over to her. She looks up to me with tears streaming down her cheeks before getting and hugging me tightly. Alright you wanted to kill me yesterday but whatever.

"Oh Peeta thank god your here." she says pulling back. "Katniss ingested some kind of poison." she wipes her tears away.

"What??? How?" I ask worried as we sit down.

"I don't know, that's all they told me." she says. "I am so scared, she didn't wake up this morning and was all pale."

"Hey hey calm down, Katniss is strong we know that." I say taking her hand. To be honest I am more then afraid and cannot listen to myself. Its almost hard to believe my own words. 

"I know and your right. Listen..I am sorry about yesterday." she says looking up.

"Its alright, no worries." I say shaking my head.

"It was wrong of me to go after you like that." she says. "I should have listened to Katniss, the whole story."

"I shouldn't have taken her out last night. Maybe she's be okay now." I say looking down.

"Where did you all go?" she asks. I sigh and think.

"Only the cafe on campus." I say. "She had a hot chocolate." 

"Who brought it to you?" she asks.

"One of the waitresses that worked that. I don't know what she looked like." I say looking down. "But what does this have to do with it?"

"What if somebody poisoned her?" she asks. I look at her confused but shake my head.

"Who would?" I ask. She shrugs and we sit for another good hour just walking about what could have happened when a doctor comes out.

"You are family?" she asks. I shake my head.

"I'm here boyfriend and this is her room mate." I say. She nods and smiles.

"Well that's good enough for now. You can come and see her if you want." she says.

"Wait, what was wrong with her?" I ask worried.

"She had ingested a poison normally used to kill rats and mice." she says.

"And she's okay?" Annie asks a little surprised.

"She did yes, it wasn't enough to kill her, only to really slow down her system." she says. "We pumped out her stomach and gave her some antidote. We'll keep her till tomorrow afternoon then she can head back."

"Can we stay here for the night?" Annie asks hopefully. She looks at us with an obvious no face but sighs.

"Since your the only one here I guess you can. Just no making trouble or you will get thrown out. If some nurse asks tell them Dr. Willowstein allowed it." she says. I smile and she leads us to room 312, Everdeen Katniss. I take a breath as we walk in. She lay in her white bed, a hospital gown covers her and the sleeves only go down to her elbows. Kinda old fashion looking ones. We walk over to her and she's barely awake. I look to Annie. "She is one some medication now to keep her stomach calm. She was vomiting uncontrollably when she came in, her system fighting the poison. But its all out now so no worries. If you need anything push that blue button on the desk, it calls me." and with that she leaves. We both sit down, watching her as she breaths softly. The monitor beeps steadily. I take her right hand, holding it lightly as she moves it a little but doesn't really do anything.

"I can't believe somebody poisoned her. Who would?" Annie mutters looking down. At the time Natalia's name swings through my head but I keep it to myself at first.

"Look she is okay, that is what's important now." I say kissing her hand. Annie smiles and we both look back to Katniss. My lucky.....very lucky Katniss.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sooooooooooooooooooooo did I get everybody's hopes up on BABY???? Well whoopsy! Sorry my lovelies I couldn't update on Monday I have been very very very sick and I still am. I'm updating from my bed now! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!!!

Nikki :)