Chapter 25 I Can't Dance

Katniss POV

So finally the day of the ball has come and I'm way too nervous. I haven't gotten dressed yet and Peeta is downstairs talking to his grandmother. She tried to talk him out of taking me, calling me a country girl and getting Peeta really mad. How am I a country girl? I sit on the bed, playing with the ends of my hair when the door opens and Peeta walks in, looking pretty mad might I add.

"Your not dressed yet." he breaths lightly walking over to me.

"Maybe I shouldn't go with Peeta." I say making him look at me a little confused. "I know you bought me that amazing dress but...your grandmother hates me. She'll ruin everything for us." she shakes his head and kneels down before me.

"I want you to come with. I invited you as my girlfriend. I want to dance with you Katniss." he says taking my hands. His words, so sweet making me smile.

"I can't dance." I whisper looking down to our hands. He smiles and kisses my knuckles carefully.

"I can show you. I've been dancing for years." he says sitting next to me. "Please come with me Kat." His baby blue eyes sparkle at me. I sigh but with a wide smile.

"Alright, okay....just don't look at me with those eyes." I say making him laugh.

"I can't help it sweetie." he says leaning over and kissing me lightly. I kiss him back and look into his eyes. "Get dressed, I will too. And we're leaving in 3 hours." he says.

"Why should I get dressed now when we have so long?" I ask.

"Well...your a girl....you need like...hair time and makeup time and.....like cleaning time?" he says. I pout and hit his shoulder.

"I don't need that long." I say looking down. He smiles and walks out. I feel as if I've been given new life with him. I walk to the bag where I kept the dress safe and pull it on, before rushing to the bathroom and doing some light makeup, brushing my hair I decide to leave it out cause its got a nice little wave to it. I finish with some light red lipstick before walking back out to see Peeta standing there in a fancy tuxedo, a red bow tie. His hair is brushed but still pretty.....Peeta-y. He stares at me making me blush a bright red.

"You look so beautiful." he whispers walking over to me. "I am the luckiest guy ever to have you."

"Peeta....I do not. I look pretty but that's it." I say looking down. He rests his hands on my shoulders and lifts my chin so I'm looking up into his eyes.

"You are gorgeous Katniss, don't let anybody tell you otherwise." he says before kissing my nose. I smile just as the door opens and his grandfather, also in a tux smiles at us.

"Time to go." he says before leaving. I smile and hold Peeta's hand tight, ready for an...interesting night.

*Later at the Ball*

We step out of the car to be welcomed by a huge mansion. Balloons and lights brighten the whole place. I smile and hold onto Peeta as we walk inside. We're greeted by the hosts and warm, formal music. I'm not used to this but I do like it. We walk down the hall and into a grand room with others laughing, talking, drinking high quality champagne and wine. They all look like they're having a great time. We walk down the steps and into the crowd of well dressed people. Most talk about politics or they're company or money. Soon a girl in a silk, fancy red dress screeches and rushes over to us, hugging Peeta tightly. Bitch....get off my man. I shake my head at my inner burst out. 

"Peeta!!! Oh my god I never thought I'd see you again!" she says hugging him again. GET OFF!!!

"Its great to see you Madge." he says softly. "This is Katniss, my girlfriend. Katniss this is Madge, the Mayor's daughter and my childhood best friend." She eagerly takes my hand. 

"Its so good to meet you, I've heard bad things about you from Peeta's grandmother but I know her. She's picky." she says. I smile. She seems pretty normal and I love that. "So where are you from?"

"Oh..I am from 12....a city or a large town." I say looking around. I'm worried I'll say something out of place.

"Don't be so shy! Everything's okay. I won't bite." she says smiling. You have way to much energy miss.

"She's never been to a ball like this before. She is a little." Peeta says rubbing my back soothingly.

"Don't worry, you look dazzling. You fit right in here." she says before a light stepped 50's kinda song comes on. I think I know this. I listen closer to hear its 'A Wonderful Guy'. I love this song!

"Come dance with me Katniss." Peeta says pulling me lightly towards the dance floor. I shake my head.

"I can't dance Peeta." I say trying to stop him. He smiles and pulls me into my arms, moving us into a dancing position, my hand on his shoulder and in his. His on my waist and in mine. He picks up as the music does and we'e off, swaying swiftly with the waves of other dancers. 

'I'm in love! With a wonderful guuuuuy!' 

The music plays lightly as we move around. I smile and look up into his eyes as me looks at me softly. Soon it quiets down and the music changes to something else. We come to a stop as do the others and everybody claps. So do we.

"Where did you learn to dance?"I ask smiling.

"I have for a long time." he says pulling me close and leaning down, kissing my hard with love and passion. This boy does nothing but surprise me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to thank all my loyal readers that read and vote every chapter. Your my main support for this book and I wanna thank you all. 

Nikki ;)