Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“IZZIE....IZZIE...STAY AWAKE”

My eyes open to see Regan knelt beside me; he is holding my hand over my wound. His face is set with determination and concentration, I notice our marks glow lightly and a small tingle from our hands, it’s not strong enough, it’s not working. My eyes close again.

“IZ...Don’t leave us!”

They press on the wound I can't stop the scream that curdles from my chest, it feels as if the blades are back in there digging even deeper. when my eyes open again; I see Isac and Hayley both holding their hands over Regan’s. They close their eyes, and concentrate. I can’t think of anything but the pain. Then the room lights up in magnificent colours. I hear gasps all around and notice that our marks are glowing brighter than before. Isac’s is green and Hayley is yellow, it looks so beautiful and it consumes the whole room.

The slight tingle from before builds into a small warmth. Regan opens his eyes and smiles at the light’s coming from our arms. It intensifies and I whimper as the warmth grows into a blazing heat. I watch as Isac, Hayley and Regan, grab their stomachs and grimace. I hate that they all have to feel this pain. I am grateful; I can already keep my eyes open without trying.

The pain surges through my body to where it is practically unbearable, Hayley and I scream out in agony as it peaks. The glowing slowly fades and so does the heat and pain. Hayley slumps to the ground just as Isac catches her and pulls her into his arms cradling her while she composes herself. Regan opens his eyes and lifts my blood soaked shirt, the smile that spreads on his face makes my heart skip a beat, he is so beautiful. I watch as his eyes slowly meet mine, they are damp with tears. He lifts me from the couch, only to sit back down and cradle me in his arms, he kisses my head lightly, sending static shock through my whole body, his lips brush my cheek and my body jerks from his hot breath on my neck.

“I love you!”

I sigh in contempt and turn my head; his lips brush mine as I smile back at him.

“I love you more!”

I turn to Hayley and Isac who are both sat on the floor holding each other, Hayley is smiling like a Cheshire cat and Isac looks full of relief.

“Thank you”

They both nod, they don’t have to say anything, what they have just done for me speaks louder than any words. The room fills with low mummers and my brain takes a second to acknowledge where I am, fresh tears fill my eyes as they land on Mickey and Kate, they are sat on the couch opposite. Mickey is stroking Kate’s back as she silently sobs, she is smiling and I know the worry of almost losing me and the relief that I am alive are the reason for her tears. My legs wobble slightly as I manoeuvre my body around Isac and Hayley on the floor. Drew’s arms steady me before I am pulled into a tight squeeze. I hold onto the cry I want to have, I don’t want to worry my family anymore than I have. I feel my shoulder getting damp and realise my older brother, the one who has protected me and never shown fear or weakness, is sobbing in my arms, my heart brakes and I peek under his arm towards Caroline who is standing plainly watching him break down. I plead with my eyes for her to comfort him; I am the reason for his despair I cannot be the one to do it. She walks over slowly and joins the embrace. Drew pulls away and kisses my cheek before shuffling away in Caroline’s arms. Machala and Riley are stood with Nate, there talking quietly to Mia and her husband, their son is stood with them but he is staring at me, he looks like he has seen a ghost. I suppose it would be strange to someone so young. I give him a small smile, he blushes and turns away. I can’t see Rosie, Ayesha and her aunt are looking at me curiously.

Two arms wrap around me and Regan’s soft lips brush my neck, it sends shivers down my spine and I smile whole heartedly. The lounge door opens and Rosie walks in, her cheeks damp and her eyes puffy. She gasps when she sees me she has the same look on her face as mia’s son. She runs and almost knocks both me and Regan over when she gets too us, her arms wrap tightly around us. I wince slightly from the pressure on my stomach and she jumps back.