Chapter Sixteen

"Slow conversations
with a gun
mean more
than I've ever
said to
anyone." - Unknown
______________________

Chapter Sixteen
________________
Shining Shadow

Staying asleep was treacherous with the claps of thunder shaking through the house, though it helped with having Ace next to me it just felt hard to stay asleep, my mind was having its own storm of thoughts.

Twisting and turning I roll over onto my side when I hear a grumble escape him and his arm snakes around me, holding me still against his bare chest.

"You know, mom and dad fell in love when they were young," I whisper, keeping my eyes closed, "My mother had dumped her coffee all over him when she was leaving a shop because she was too engrossed in a book she was reading," My voice comes out below a whisper and from the small hums coming from him I knew he was listening to me.

It made my heart ache just thinking about them and their story, I remember growing up and that would always be my favorite bedtime story to hear.

"My father wasn't angry, when he looked up my mother was freaking out, trying to find a way to make things better, and when she asked him he smiled at her," I squeeze my eyes shut when I feel that familiar burning liquid fill my eyes.

I smile softly, "Apparently he told her that if she took him on a date than everything would be even. They were together ever since than," I whisper before laughing bitterly under my breath, "Well, that was until four years ago." I add and I shot up in the bed when a crack of thunder echoed through the silent house.

My heart was pounding through my veins and my eyes were an overflowing waterfall of salty tears as I tore myself apart. It was all coming back and there was no way to handle it all, handle all the memories and emotions that follow along with it.

I had thought I was getting better, but I'm surrounded by so many triggers and its slowly destroying me, eating away at everything I had built over the years to be happy.

Part of me longed for a story like my parents, I wanted a story of my very own that would one day be worth telling as a bedtime story.

"I just - I don't know anymore, I'm so tired of all these emotions. I'm never anyone's first choice, I'm not anyone's favorite - I'm not anyone special and that's all I want," I whisper, feeling the tears slide down my face as lightening flashes through the room.

I felt his dark eyes staring at me and sighed, "I just want to be happy - I am happy but than I'm not and its all too confusing for me." I add and he brought his hand up slowly, brushing a strand of hair out of my face.

His fingers trail along my cheek gently, swiping away the trail of tears with his thumb, "Trust me when I say this, you are extremely special. To the whole gang and my family you are this special gem in their eyes, your so different - its refreshing."

I sucked in a breath as his words travelled through my head numerous times, I peak open my eyes and look at him, and I don't think he knew what he was doing to me.

"But its gonna hurt like hell when one day you no longer are here, because people only come into our lives temporarily," He whispered, gently running his finger down my jaw, causing a trail of goosebumps to erupt over my skin.