Chapter 44

-Jack POV-

"You're free to check up on Hannah while we get Paisley cleaned up." A nurse came over to our group of family and friends.

"Thank you." Hannah said to the nurse and hooked her hand in mine.

"I think you and Jack should go so we don't overwhelm Kim." Brielle said with a concerned look on her face.

I nodded. "Be right back."

I remember that the nurse had said only Hayes could go in during the labour and that someone else was in there. I thought it was Brielle but it wasn't - obviously.

Hannah and I were shown to Kim's ward and walked into it. Hannah went in first and stopped short so I almost knocked her over. Hannah's eyes were fixed on one spot.

I glanced to where she was looking and made eye contact with Nate Maloley.

I felt my stomach drop and my blood turned cold.

"What are you doing here?" I asked in a harsh voice, stepping closer with my fists balled. Hannah had her hand on my back.

Nate looked awkward. "I think I'm gonna leave?" He said this to Kim and ignored me.

Why was he even here? I was so confused and angry at the same time thinking of how he probably was beside Kim as she gave birth. That made me uncomfortable.

"You're leaving?" Kim asked, looking at Nate with a sad face.

Nate nodded and kissed her hand gently. I stepped forward protectively but Hannah grabbed my wrist to stop myself from hitting Nate.

"Take care of yourself." Nate said to her in a quiet voice.

"Alright! Leave." I said barely able to restrain myself.

Kim shot me a look. "Dad! You don't have to - "

"I still care about them Jack, after years its not gonna change!" Nate finally looked me dead in the eye this time. "I screwed up but that doesn't mean I don't care!"

"Care? After all the shit you put Han through?" I scoffed and folded my arms.

Nate shook his head. "That doesn't change the fact that I'd been with them during most of their childhood."

My throat felt like it was closing as he said those words. Hannah grabbed my hand to help me remain calm which I appreciated.

"You're not as perfect as you pretend to be Gilinsky." Nate shrugged. "For one you didn't bother showing up when I was with Hannah."

I looked away. He was right. I didn't make the effort. Was I any better than Nate was?

"Get out." I said thinly. "Now."

Nate scoffed and walked pass me, knocking my shoulder hard in the process. I had to grit my teeth to not punch his lights out.

I looked at Kim - she had an annoyed look on her face. "Really dad? You can't even hold back your issues on the day I give birth?"

"Why did you even let him stay?" I asked her. I was truly wounded. I should have been the dad here and not Nate.

Kim shook her head. "Does it really matter? Nate was there when my water broke! Its not a big deal."

"Not a big deal?" I asked. "I'm your father Kim...it hurts."

Then I turned around and walked out feeling heavy. I wanted to stay and be happy for my daughter but seeing Nate be there for. It just reminded me of the times when Nate had them.