Chapter 40

-Kim POV-

A week has passed since graduation, a week since Finn had proposed to my best friend, and a week since I'd moved out of Hayes's house and into my grandparents.

"You sure?" Katherine rubbed my back that morning.

I chuckled. "Grandma, I'm sure I can run some errands for you."

"You're almost due love." David added from across the counter. He was making a to-go smoothie for me.

"Not for another few weeks Grandpa so its all good." I smiled. "It'd be good to get out of the house."

Katherine nodded and handed me a short list of stuff she needed, most of them were on account of me. I pocketed the note and stood up to adjust my tank top.

"Here you are." David handed me a cup of banana smoothie. "If you feeling tired just come home okay, I can do it tomorrow."

"Thanks G." I smiled. "I'll be fine."

I slid my cardigan on and headed out for the grocery store. I needed to make a few stops for a couple of other things but it would take a couple hours or less.

I drove off to the first stop with music playing loudly. I felt good, I guess. I mean I was in a fairly happy place with everyone besides....Hayes. My heart lurched at the mere thought of Hayes Grier.

Being with him, the way he had ran his fingers along my arm, the way he said my name. I groaned. This is so pathetic. I should be focusing on the baby and myself instead of trying to see if he would want to fix it.

Hayes made his decision. I guess it was that he was planning to break up with me over his stupid emotions whereas I'm always reasonable. I should be the one with more hormone changes than him.

I  was glad to have reached the grocery store after a couple minutes. I wanted to be distracted for a few minutes. I got out and went inside to get Katherines stuff.

I was in the dairy section when I turned around and came face to face with my parents. We all just glanced at each other for a while, my dad seemed anxious. How awkward was that?

We clearly didn't expect to run into each other at this time in such a random place. My stomach twisted a little as I didn't know what to say.

Mom nudged him. Dad cleared his throat. "Hey honey." He stepped forward with a small smile on his face.

"Hi dad." I nodded. This was so weird because we haven't spoken in months since I was pregnant with Hayes baby.

Without saying anything, dad pulled me into his arms and hugged me so tight all the broken pieces just stuck themselves together. I couldn't help but bawl on the spot and hold my dad tighter.

"I'm sorry for everything." I said in a muffled voice. "I didn't mean to disappoint you dad. I'm sorry."

Dad rubbed my back and rocked me from side to side. "Dont apologize honey, ive been the jerk all this time when i should have been there for you."

I cried harder.

"You didn't disappoint me Kimberly, I just had to realize what's important to me and that's your happiness." Dad ran his hands through my hair like he did when I was little.

"Really?" I looked up. I realized how messed up I must look with mascara running down my cheeks.

"Ofcourse." Dad nodded. "If Hayes makes you happy then I'm here for both of you."

I shook my head. "Gilinskys are always badtimers huh?" I buried my face in my dads chest again.

"What do you mean?" Dad asked rubbing my back.