Chapter 7

-Kim POV-

Hayes stood next to me as I faced Cj and a girl - other than me. I would have been okay with it if Cj wasn't holding her hand and looking all romantic.

But it wasn't just a random girl. It was Candice Lawley.

"Kim." Cj said moving away from Candice so fast - his face panicked.

My heart felt like someone was pulling it apart bit by bit. Call me exaggerated but you'd be the same if you liked a guy since you were 13.

"Whats going on?" I asked trying not to cry and be vulnerable in front of Candice who had an annoying smile on her face.

"Its not what it looks like." Cj shook his head and moved closer to me, reaching out for my hand while Candice was smirking.

Hayes stepped forward. "I wouldn't do that of I were you."

If I wasn't incredibly heartbroken, I would have found Hayes genture sweet. But all that ran through my mind was Cj and Candice. And my poor brother Finn who was hung up on Candice.

"You stood me up tonight just for her?" I asked, not even looking Candice's way.

"What about you?" Cj folded his arms. "You shouldn't be out with this guy...who clearly likes you!"

I tried not to blush. I looked at Hayes who looked at Cj in anger.

Hayes cut in. "Kim you don't need this right now. Let's go."

I nodded as the tears finally rolled down my cheeks, I couldn't believe the sweet and caring Cj would think of hurting me. I wasn't dumb - of course Candice and Cj were hooking up behind my back.

I tried not to cry but it was so hard - I had to bite the inside of my cheeks but they kept coming. Hayes looked at me as he held the door open. I went through and he held up a hand and handed me his ice cream.

Before I could understand what was going to happen, Hayes swung and punched Cj's face hard. I heard a crushing sound and winced as Cj stumbled backwards holding his jaw that was now bruised red.

"Don't ever - I mean ever - hurt Kim." Hayes said with gritted teeth. "Or you'll have to answer to me."

Cj was too shocked and scared to answer Hayes. Hayes slammed the ice cream parlor door shut - everybody inside was watching the scene with surprise. He then led us to the car and we got in.

We just sat in silence looking out the window and mulling over what happened. I sniffed silently and looked anywhere but at Hayes. And he didn't look my way either.

I mean I was pretty embarrassed at finding out Cj is cheating on me. Hayes must think I'm an idiot now. Great. I rolled my eyes, why did I even care what Hayes thought about me.

Hayes flexed his knuckles - I could see out of the corner of my teary eyes.

He sighed. "Kim I'm so sorry about what just happened."

"Don't." I closed my eyes. "I hate when people feel sorry for me."

Hayes shifted and turned to me. "Its not like that. I know what its like getting your heart broken - I've been in highschool."

"I never saw it coming." I looked at my lap.

"We never do." Hayes nodded and took my hand which was wet from wiping my cheeks but he didn't mind. I bit my lip to ward the new tears away.

"Look at me." Hayes said. I did. "You're beautiful, you're funny and you deserve everything in the world."

I chuckled despite the tears. "You always know what to say."

"No I mean it." Hayes squeezed my hand. "I want you to know what a gem you are. And no guy deserves you."

I didn't know what to say.

"Don't cry over him." Hayes reached up and wiped my tears gently. His fingers brushing my face.

"Easy to say." I said. My eyes were suddenly focused on his ocean blue ones.

"Because." Hayes went on. "He doesn't deserve your tears."

I nodded. He was right.

"Thanks you."

Hayes lightly brushed my cheeks with his hand. It felt so good - a touch that was so different to Cj's touch. We slowly moved closer to each other.

Upclose - I could see Hayes had tiny gold flecks in his blue eyes. I felt his warm breath blow against my cheeks and flutter my eyelashes.

Our lips were inches away.

"No." Hayes breath out. He moved away and looked ahead again - his hands tight around the wheel.

I felt my cheeks heat up and scolded myself for letting this situation get so out of my control. We would have just kissed and what then? Awkwardness would ruin the fun friendship we had.

"Why?" I found myself ask. I shouldn't have even asked that.

"You're not ready." Hayes shook his head. "I mean you've barely broken up with this guy and I can't...I can't."

"Because I'm a kid." I suddenly felt hurt.

Hayes shook his head. "Its not about that, its about how wrong this all is."

I sighed and sat back, feeling so hurt and so confused.

"I'm taking you home." Hayes said starting his car.

The ride home was quiet. Awfully quiet. I wanted to talk but Hayes looked tense and angry - so I kept quiet. Also being silent made me think about Cj and Candice. And then the heartbreak settled in.

Hayes parked in my driveway and got out, so did I. We walked up to my front door and I walked in with Hayes behind me. We walked through he living room and I stopped - unable to believe the scene in front of me.

Finn and Brielle. My mom and dad. They were all talking and laughing - like this was totally normal. Finn had his hand casually on Brielle's knee as they laughed loudly.

"Hey honey." My mom smiled. "How was your date with - uh Hayes?"

Just then Hayes walked in with his hands in his pocket - looking casual as ever. My dad frowned furiously at Hayes who stopped just behind me.

"Fine." I smiled stifly then jogged up to my room unable to talk about anything any more. I just wanted to be alone.

"Kim - " Brielle said but I was already jogging up the stairs.

"She's upset." I heard Hayes say. "Give her some space."

"Where did you take her?" My dad asked with anger in his voice. "Did you hurt my baby girl?"

Hayes sighed. "Kim can explain. I've gotta get home."

Then I heard the front door bang shut after a few minutes. Hayes was gone. I finally flopped down on my bed and cried into my pillow until I fell asleep.

___________
Hey babes! So I would love if y'all go to thefanfictionawards and nominate me in the comments! Please and thanks <3

Comment if you want me to comment your name too!

-Simone xoxo