Chapter Thirty-Two

Mulai dari awal

"You know perfectly well you didn't make a mistake! What nonsense! They did not cross the line, or make another student do it for them!" McGonagall defended.

"Somebody's framing us," I said. Everybody looked at me and I noticed Potter had terror in his eyes.

"They cannot compete then!" Viktor spoke up.

"They must compete. It's a magically binding contract. Convenient, eh?" Moody growled from behind me.

"Somebody put their names in the cup, knowing they'd have to compete," he continued.

"Well, I refuse!" I said stubbornly.

"I von't let her endanger her life for a contest!" Viktor insisted and I faintly smiled at him.

"Evidently, someone 'oo wished to give 'Ogwarts two bites at zee apple put zeir names in zee cup!" Madame Maxime said.

"Harry and Leah are the only two who have a right to complain. Leah already has," Moody said, staring me down. I glared and crossed my arms.

"Why would zey complain? Zey 'ave a chance to compete, don't zey? We 'ave all been 'oping to be chosen for weeks and weeks! Ze honor for our schools! A thousand Galleons in prize money- zis is a chance many would die for!" Fleur said angrily.

"Well, I just might die, you daft blonde bimbo!" I snapped. 

"You are blonde too!" she said in disbelief. I blinked and morphed my hair back to its original color.

"I have my mother's hair," I said sweetly.

"Alright, alright...maybe somebody wants them dead," Moody growled.

"Who?" I asked angrily. He just stared at me and we all fell silent.

"I have no desire to enter this contest! I don't need money, my parents were rich in the first place, and then guess what? They died and I inherited more money! As for school honor, I didn't even want to come here!" I fumed. 

"Leah, we are sorry, I promise I von't let anything harm you," Viktor vowed.

"You will do no such thing! You've sent this girl to mess with my boy's head! She's a distraction, not a champion!" Karkaroff said, angrily gesturing to me.

"I am no distraction!" I said.

"Of course you are! She iz preety enough to attend Beauxbatons!" Madame Maxime countered.

"We're friends, that's how friendship works, you protect each other," I glared.

"She isn't a distraction. It'd be hard for anyone to let their friend enter this competition with them," Cedric spoke up. I nodded and stopped pacing.

"Zis is cute and all, but we cannot allow 'er to compete. She iz probably more skilled zan zey are if she can get past a 'eavily protected Goblet," Madame Maxime said. I glared at her and Fleur bristled at me.

"I didn't put my name in that stupid Goblet!" 

"Leah you will do well to quiet down!" Severus snapped at me.

I clenched my fists together, glaring hatefully at Severus.

"Leah, what's gotten into you?" Potter asked softly.

"Them!" I hissed and he shook his head.

"Maybe you are a Slytherin," he sighed and I looked at him in shock.

"Excuse me?"

"Do you see the way you're acting?"

"I think she has reason to freak out," Viktor said. Potter looked at me wearily before shaking his head and looking down.

"Well, they will have to compete, I fear. Now that this is straightened out, on with the instructions," Dumbledore said and Mr. Crouch stepped out from the shadows.

"The first task is to test your daring, so we will not tell you what it is. Courage in the face of the unknown is an important quality in a wizard...very important... The first task will take place November the twenty fourth, in front of the other students and a panel of judges. The champions are not permitted to ask for help of any kind from their teachers to complete the tasks in the tournament. The champions will face the first challenge armed with only their wands. They will receive information about the second task when the first is over. Owing to the demanding and time consuming nature of the tournament, the champions are exempt from their end-of-the-year tests. I think that is all, isn't it Albus?" Mr. Crouch asked.

"I think so," Dumbledore nodded and I sighed. Madame Maxime was leading Fleur away speaking in French, but I wasn't in the mood to listen. Karkaroff was leading Viktor away speaking in Russian, which I knew, but again I didn't want to listen in.

"Harry, Cedric, Leah, you best be off to bed," Dumbledore smiled. We all filed out and walked into the deserted Hall.

"So, we're all competing against one another," Cedric smiled. I nodded to him and Potter smiled lightly.

"I guess so," he nodded.

"Leah... you know, it is sort of distracting with you in the tournament. I don't think there's a soul here who wants you hurt," Cedric smiled.

"I don't know about that," I laughed, " but I don't see that as distracting."

"Regardless, how did you two get your names in the cup?" he asked.

"I didn't put my name in," I said, shaking my head.

"Neither did I," Potter said, though he still wasn't looking at me.

"Okay, well Leah be safe. Harry... goodnight," he smiled at us, and I found it amusing that he favored me over Potter.

"Harry, we've got to stick together. We can't let house rivalries drive us apart now. We're the weak links, and we've got to have each other's backs," I said, making him look at me.

"Your right, I'm sorry," He said, and then pulled me into a hug. 

"Good, stay safe. Goodnight, Harry," I said and then walked off to my common room.