15|fifteen

The warm Brighton air blankets me as I walk down the long, smooth pavements. As I look to my right, the sea takes up my view. It's chilly, cobalt waves are lapping over each other creating a beautiful image. I see mothers with their children, middle-aged men biking and jogging together, kids running around and old couples walking hand in hand. This is why I love Brighton, it attracts all different people. It's quite quirky and weird but that's okay, it's what makes it distinctive among other places. 

Up ahead, I see the pier and the little beach houses scattered along the rim of the pebbled beach. I skate faster, eager to get to the lanes as I'm craving coffee. I'm swerving in between people, cars and bikers. I almost make an old lady topple over, however I say sorry over my shoulder. I see a coffee shop up ahead and I slow as it comes more into my view.

As I come to a stop, I grab my skateboard and carry it underneath my left armpit and look into the window. I look in and I see skateboards dispersed along the walls with several different designs. There are also artsy paintings painted directly onto the wall. I squeal in excitement and look at what the quirky place is called, 'Marwood'.

I walk in and the familiar scent of coffee lingers in the air and I'm greeted with happy people chattering and coffee machines whirring

I walk in and the familiar scent of coffee lingers in the air and I'm greeted with happy people chattering and coffee machines whirring. I stroll towards the counter and have a look at the menu displayed on the wall. I decide on a black coffee as it's 10 in the morning and I'm shattered, Ava and Luke were fighting again and I couldn't sleep so I just decided to get out of the house. I don't understand why they're still together, I suppose it's because he needs a place to stay. I wonder when he's going back to Sydney, I'll have to ask him when I get back.

I look up at the girl who's serving and smile at her. I recognise her from school last year. She looks about my age and she has thick, blonde hair a little past her shoulders and pretty green eyes. Her long eyelashes are coated in a thin layer of mascara and she's wearing little makeup, her full lips glazed in a natural pink colour. My eyes wander down to her name tag and it reads, 'Jess'. She bends her fingers back before smiling at me.

"Hey, what would you like to order?" She says with the same accent as mine.

"Could I get a medium black coffee please?" I ask, pulling my backpack off my shoulder to grab my purse.

"Sure, that'll be £2.95." She says, tapping at the register with her long, grey shellacked nails. Her nails on her left hand have chipped.

"Okay." I say, grabbing out the correct amount. I hand it to her and she takes it.

"Enjoying the summer?" She asks whilst she makes my coffee.

"Yeah I guess, I'm going to college next week though." I say with a grimace.

"Oh really? Me too! Which one are you going to?" She asks whilst the coffee is brewing. She leans against counter whilst she talks to me.

"Bellerbys." I say, smiling.

"That's so funny, I am as well." She says, laughing.

"I think I recognise you. You were in my biology class?" I ask.

The coffee machine beeps indicating it's ready. She places it onto a saucer and hands it to me.

"Yeah! I thought you looked familiar." She says, grinning.

"It's been so nice talking to you, Jess." I say, looking at her name tag again.

"You too." She says.

An idea pops into my head and I say it before I can stop the words from tumbling out of my mouth.

"Hey, I'm having a party at my house next week to celebrate the end of summer and I need to make new friends for college. Why don't you come?" I ask, grabbing a napkin and a pen from the counter.

"I'd love too. I have some friends and my boyfriend, could I bring them too?" She asks, adjusting her apron.

"Sure, we're gonna need all the people we can get." I answer, scribbling my number down. "Heres my number so I can text you the address."

"Cool, thank you!" She says, putting the napkin in her apron pocket.

I take my coffee and find a place to sit. My eyes settle on a brown leather sofa and I place my bag on it and sit down, placing my coffee on the table front of me. I look to my right out of the window and I watch the bustle of the streets, then my phone starts vibrating in my back pocket and I pick it up to answer it.

"Hello?" I ask, sitting back.

"Mia, oh my days." Says a crying Blair.

"Blair? What's wrong? What's happened?" I ask, bolting back up and swapping the phone round to the right side of my face.

"Nothing bad, but I just got my college letter back." She says, still crying. A wave of relief rushes over me and I lean back, placing a hand on my forehead.

"You had me so worried! What does it say?" I ask, sipping my coffee.

"Well, I got accepted!" She screams. I squeal but I quiet myself, realising I'm in a small coffee shop.

"That's so great! Wait, into which one?" I ask.

"Stanford." She says with a sad voice.

"Blair! What the hell, this is amazing!" I say, hiding my sadness.

"I'm going to miss you." She says, her voice cracking.

"I'll miss you too. Come over later and we can talk about it then, okay?" I ask, nibbling on my lower lip.

"Okay, love you."

"Love you too." And with that, I end the call.

--------------

"Mean Girls or The Hunger Games?" I ask Luke as I stand in front of the TV with the remote in my hand.

"Mean Girls, definitely." He says with a serious tone. I turn to look at him and laugh. He's sitting on the sofa with his legs apart and his arms spread out. He sure is making himself at home.

"Mean Girls?" I question, putting the movie on. I walk over to the sofa and grab the popcorn bowl on the way.

It's 6 o'clock and Ava is still at work, so me and Luke decided to watch a movie. It's just a movie, it's harmless, right?

"Yeah, it's actually my favourite film." He says wrapping the blanket round him.

"You're such a dork" I say, rolling my eyes and slumping on the sofa. I sit next to him but not that close to him, placing the popcorn bowl in between us.

About 10 minutes into the movie, he moves the bowl onto his lap. I groan and roll over to him in attempt to grab the popcorn, resulting in my top to rise slightly above my hips. He chuckles and moves the bowl to his left, making me climb over him to get it. As I move, he snakes his arm around my skin that is showing and pulls me into him. I shriek and grab the popcorn, resulting in it to spill everywhere. I laugh at him and he laughs with me, not paying any attention to the movie.

As our laughter dies down, I look up at him, my head on his lap, only to find him looking right back at me. I lick my lips and brush a stray strand of hair out of my face, only to have it stopped by him. He takes my hand and intertwines his with it. As he does so, he sits me up so my left shoulder is resting against his chest.

I feel his breath against my neck and the feeling stops momentarily, only because he places a kiss against my shoulder. He mumbles something inaudible and I rest my head against his warm, comfy chest. Soon, my eyelids become heavy and after a few minutes of resisting, I let them shut.

"Go to sleep, angel." Says his raspy voice. And I do exactly that.