2|two

A tall boy turns around and I instantly lock eyes with him. I can see his adams apple bobbing as he swallows hard, not taking his eyes off me. He coughs and I continue to walk down the stairs, bewildered.

What just happened?

I ask myself.

I look into his sapphire eyes as he puts his hand out for me to shake it. "Hi, I'm Luke" He says, with the most adorable Aussie accent I've ever heard. I notice that his hand is lingering for one too many seconds on mine. And I can't help but like it.

Luckily, Ava and my mum are talking not noticing what's happening. I can feel my cheeks burning, flooding with crimson within seconds.

What the hell is wrong with me? I rarely get flustered or embarrassed in front of boys. Pull yourself together, crybaby.

"Mia" I reply, avoiding eye contact but still smiling, determined to keep my eyes solely trained on the hardwood floor. I mentally slap myself for being so stupid.

I can still feel his eyes on me. This isn't right.

I shake my head and walk over to Ava and hugging her. I try to forget about my confusing exchange with Luke.

"Ava! I missed you so much! How was Sydney?" I say, pulling her into a tight hug.

She pulls back and replies, "I missed you too. It was incredible, especially with this one by my side." She reaches up and kisses him on the lips. I manage to come out with a fake laugh and look at my feet. I didn't want to feel this way.

I go and sit down at the dinner table to conduct myself. I put my head in my hands and take deep breaths. I shake it off and walk into the kitchen to help put the food on the table.

I walk out of the kitchen with hot peas in my hands. My head is down so I don't notice a 6'4' man standing in front of me. I walk straight into his chest and can't help but notice how toned he is. "Oh my days, I'm so sorry" I say, avoiding his gaze and trying to walk around him, fast. He laughs and says "It's okay, don't worry about it." I notice how he has a lip piercing and how compliments him so well. I realise what I'm doing then I focus back to placing the food on the table, instead of staring into Luke's eyes.

When everyone sits down for dinner, Luke sits opposite me. He's wearing a red flannel and damn, it looks good on him. "So, Luke, what do you do for a living?" My mum asks him with a smile spread across her face. "Well, I own a music store back in Sydney, but I'm in a band also. I'm lead vocalist. We've hope to start playing gigs soon but we haven't got a drummer." He says, grinning. I can tell he's passionate about it, his eyes light up and his smile begins to widen, showing more of his pearly white teeth.

The conversation changes onto Ava and her career quickly, my parents clearly engrossed in it. Luke rolls his eyes at me and I giggle. "It's all she ever talks about," he whispers to me, leaning over the table, his voice hoarse and deep. I can feel my heart beating faster by the second.

"Mum, this looks delicious. I can't believe you still remember that lasagna's my favourite!" Ava beams at my mother. I do love her, but she is a kiss-ass sometimes. I roll my eyes and Luke stifles a laugh. He mouths to me "I hate lasagna!" I look down at my hands and laugh quietly to myself. I look back up, my eyes meeting his and he fake gags.

"Let's dig in then shall we!" My mum says with a smile.

I reach for the carrots the same time as Luke. Crap. He gave out a sweet laugh and bit his jet black lip ring, playing with it, not taking his eyes off me.

 He gave out a sweet laugh and bit his jet black lip ring, playing with it, not taking his eyes off me