1|one

"Mum! When will Ava be back from Sydney? She was meant to be here 10 minutes ago!" I shout from the living room window, waiting for my sister's taxi to pull up from Gatwick.

"They should be here really soon, come and help me set the table for dinner honey." Mum replies.

I sigh. "Fine, I'll be there in a minute." I can smell mum's lasagna. The gorgeous smell wafts through the house. It also happened to be Ava's favourite. She had spent the last year in Sydney, training to be a zoologist. I missed her so much! My sister is 2 years older than me, making her easier to talk to. She was the only one who understood me, that's why I'm so protective over her. I walk through the house to the dining room and start setting out knives and forks for everyone. I happen to notice an extra plate on the table. There was only meant to be 4 plates. Me, Ava, Mum and Dad. "Hey Mum?" I shout to her through the kitchen.

"What, Mia?" She replies.

"Why is there an extra plate on the table?" I ask, confusion clearly set in my voice.

"Oh, Ava hasn't told you? She met a young man 3 months into being at Sydney and have been together ever since. He's coming for dinner tonight, if that's okay." She says, casually.

"What? Ava never told me about this, and she tells me everything." I say to myself.

"What, darling?" My mum says.

"Nothing! Looking forward to it." I say, faking a smile.

Why didn't Ava tell me about this? Is he nice? Will he treat my sister well? All these questions floating round my head. I hate the thought of Ava having a boyfriend for some reason. Me and my sister have always gotten along, I love her more than anything. I push my thoughts to the back of my head and focus on setting the table.

Once I'm finished making sure everyone has a knife and fork, I run upstairs to call up my best friend, Blair. She always helps when I feel stressed, and right now, the thought of Ava's boyfriend stresses me out insanely. I worry about everything, if you can't already tell.

I hear the phone ring whilst I bite my nails, waiting for her to pick up the phone.

"Blair pick up please!" I say to myself, getting annoyed.

"Hey bitch, what's up?" Blair says.

"Ugh. You don't even wanna know." I say, sighing and rubbing my eyes.

"Wait, doesn't Ava get home from Sydney today? Why aren't you excited?" Blair asks, clearly confused. 

"That's exactly the problem. I don't know why I'm so worked up about this, but apparently Ava's got a boyfriend, and she didn't tell me! She's meant to tell me everything! Ugh, I don't know." I say, realising how stupid this sounds. I don't even know the guy! I should at least give him a chance.

"Are you serious, Mia? You don't even know this person." Blair says.

"That's besides the point! It's the fact that Ava hasn't told me." I say, rolling my eyes.

"Well, she doesn't have to share everything with you, maybe she wanted it to be a surprise?" Blair asks, questioning me.

"Yeah. Yeah, okay, your right. Sorry Blair, I'm just really on edge with everything. You know with starting school again really soon." I say, biting my lip.

"Hey! At least you don't have 2 younger brothers annoying y- CALEB! I SWEAR IF YOU TOUCH MY LIPSTICK-"

I hear muffled shouting over the phone. I know how protective she is over her makeup and clothes, typical blair. About 15 seconds later, I hear an annoyed Blair on the other line.

"I'm sorry Mia, I have to go. I need to murder my little brother. Good luck with dinner, hope he's not so much of a douchebag as your making him out to be. Love you, BYE!" Blair says quickly.

I hear the line go flat and laugh to myself "Alright, bye Blair!" I say without even noticing my mum urgently calling me from the bottom of the stairs.

"MIA! Come down now please!" My mum says, clearly annoyed.

I can faintly hear my sister downstairs and I take a deep breath. I walk down the stairs, and I freeze.