Chapter 19: The Wendigo

What's good guys? I've hoped that y'all have enjoyed your spring break. I know I did. 😉 Btw I just heard that Haytham Kenway, too was a pirate. But looking at the facts and circumstances of his life, I'm fairly skeptical about that. And I read the assassin's creed wikia. Anyway, I hope you liked the last chapter guys, and I hope you enjoy this one too. So let's do this!

   1781- Connor cursed the cold weather around him as he shivered in the snow looking around his icy surroundings. The camps had been set for a few days now and the Old Sea Captain hadn't been seen. The sun was above in the blue sky and Connor lifted his hood over his eyes to keep it from blinding him. Some Inuits were going about their business as well as the some members of his crew. Warriors went out on a search party around the areas for the Ghost and hadn't returned yet until this time.
   "Captain," said Robert Faulkner who, currently had ice in his beard, "the warriors have returned from their search. Aye, if this isn't good news, I swear, I'll feed this whole tribe of Indians to the Sharks of the Atlantic depths, mark my words." Connor smirked, and went over to the group of warriors who came into the village. They were carrying a bag. Then, they opened it and dump what was inside of it. It had been carrying dead bloody carcasses, bones, wood pieces, and other tissues. The sight was disturbing to the Assassin, and Faulkner. "We have now found you evidence of our claims," said one of the warriors. "We believe that this was the work of another evil spirit. The Wendigo."
    The nearby villagers grieved from what they heard. The men had despairing expressions on their faces. "What is this, uh, Wendigo of yours, gentlemen?" asked Faulkner, who took this supernatural spirit a bit lightly. The warriors gathered around Connor and Faulkner. The nearest replied, "The Wendigo is a very dark and evil spirit. It roams the lands of the forests, plains, mountains, and ice at night. It snatches up lost wanderers from the dark and kills them before they even know what is happening. It can not be killed by a bow and arrow. Spears will not hurt it, nor will knives do any better. It has a height of over a tall pine. It has claws as long as spears and teeth as sharp as a thousand knives. The spirit has antlers of a stag or caribou on its head and a face of a beast. The Cree have brought it upon us. To kill us faster, perhaps. We must start a hunting party tonight when it is out. We will kill it by outnumbering it. It shall be overwhelmed."
   Connor asked, "Do you know of more evidence towards these claims?" The next warrior answered, "Yes. Down the southern mountain pass. We're the ice and snow settle. There you can see dead carcasses and damaged trees everywhere. But you may not want to go alone." Connor said, "Thank you." Then he and Faulkner turned and walked away. Faulkner said, "Wha-, Captain. You're not serious about actually going there are you? You can't be." Connor interrupted, "Can be, Mr. Faulkner. I can, and I will be. If you come with me, then that is up you. I will not force you to join me." Connor continued walking. Faulkner, frustrated, kicked the snowy ground, and was compelled to follow him.
   They went inside an igloo where Connor's weapons were set and he put them on. "I'm just saying," added Faulkner, "these Indians don't really know. I mean, honestly, lad." Connor looked at him and nodded, "Yes. Honestly. I am honestly going." Then he went out of the igloo. Again, compelled to follow, Faulkner grabbed his sword and pistol, and followed Connor out. He caught up with the Native Assassin and said, "Fine I'll go. But if things go wrong on our journey, I'm blaming you personally." Then they supplied themselves and got ready.
    Eva came to Connor and said, "I want to go with you." Connor nodded at her. She smiled and hugged him. He said, "You understand that this is dangerous. We do not know much about the Wendigo. Only what the Inuits have claimed." She rolled her eyes. "Oh give me a break, Connor. I'm just as good of an Assassin as you are. You act as if I can't handle myself. I'm not a child." Connor shook his head. "I do not want to lose you. You are everything to me. Think about it, Eva." She replied back to him, touching his cheek, " And your everything to me, yet I don't stop you on your missions." "Because you reckon I can take care of myself," he added. She finished, "Because I don't doubt the way you are. I know you make it out every time. Somehow. I don't understand how."
  "Um," added Faulkner, " don't mean to interrupt on the subject, but we should be going if we're going to do this." Connor nodded. "Go put on some extra clothes, Eva. It is going to be colder than this." She went to the supplies and got herself ready. Connor shook his head. "Your idea," piped up Faulkner. Connor glared at him.
   Later they were headed to the mountains on foot. The wind was blasting cold air from all sides of them. Faulkner wrapped a scarf around his neck and face and to keep himself warm. Connor tried to keep his hood over his eyes as best as he could. Eva was just trying to make it through the snow. Finally, after some time, they could walk more easily once the mountains were there. They walked along the peaks and felt the cool air. But as they looked around, they were shocked.
   The mighty pine trees were stripped of chunks of bark from their trunks and branches were torn down from them. Some trees were angled oddly and some were completely taken down. Along with the debris of trees and wood, there were dead animal carcasses spotted. The claims of the Inuit warriors were true. The Inuits did not lie to them. Eva was horrified. "What happened here?" she asked in horror. Faulkner went down to a carcass of a deer. He was disgusted. "The fauna of these landlubbers have been killed by a ferocious beast. I believe it was the dashed Wendigo, Captain. The accounts of the Indians seems to be right, sir."
   "The Wendigo?" asked Eva. Connor explained, "The monster which is said to haunt the northern Algonquin, and Eskimo tribes.  They Inuits believe that this spirit did this. They believe that the Old Sea Captain wasn't responsible for these attacks, even though we've seen for ourselves the works of him. He has gone as far inland as the Frontier and the forests. So I still profess that he is here as well." Then, Mr. Faulkner spotted one of the broken trees and pointed to it. "Look, lad," he told Connor. The Assassin went over to the tree and saw that it was marked with the Templar's Cross and under it a message said,"The Assassin is next." This was horrible to them all. "The black magic of the Devil is upon us," stated Faulkner, who was disgusted by his surroundings. They were being warned. Connor bent down and analyzed the ground under the tree. In his hand, he picked up black cloth. He thought, " This is from the robe of the Ghost Captain." Next he went over to one of the dead caribou carcasses and looked at the torn flesh of it. Connor thought to himself, "The animals have been killed by excessively large claws of some sort." Then he went and said to Eva and Mr. Faulkner, "We should head back to the village." So they went back on their way.