Chapter 18

Magnus' POV
"You didn't have to stay and help." Alec said as he handed Magnus another plate he had just washed and Magnus started drying it with a towel.

"It's no problem." He replied. "You think I wouldn't jump on a chance to get to spend more time with you?"

Alec glanced at him with a smile and Magnus kept smiling back at him even when Alec turned his attention back to the dishes.

"I didn't know about your dad." Alec's voice said then and Magnus looked down at the plate, wiping off few last drops of water before putting it on the table.

"There's not much to know." He just said and watched as Alec was scrubbing the next plate clean.

"I just didn't wanna ask." The boy mumbled. "I thought maybe you didn't wanna talk about it since you didn't mention it."

"There's nothing wrong with asking if you don't know." Magnus told him. "But I could've just mention it too, you're right."

"No, it's okay." Alec said, washing the soap off. "I mean you don't have to go around telling people your dad is dead in case they didn't know. I could've just asked." He turned, handing Magnus the plate and spilling water on the floor. "Oops." He said and gave Magnus the plate before taking another towel and wiping the floor.

"When we first met, did you think we'd ever be in this situation?" Magnus asked curiously as he started drying the plate.

"What?" Alec asked, looking up at him. "Did I see myself wiping the kitchen floor? No, not really."

"No, I mean washing dishes and talking about my dead dad." Magnus said with a sarcastic tone. "No, smartass, what do you think I mean?"

Alec grinned. "You had just as a smartass reply as I did." He pointed out as he got off the floor and put the towel aside. "So, what did you mean then?"

Magnus smiled but rolled his eyes. "That we would be together. And openly. Having dinner with your parents and washing dishes."

"No, definitely not." Alec admitted, taking a glass and starting to scrub it. "I mean definitely not when we first met. Later.. Well, I really liked you. But I didn't think you'd like me. And I definitely didn't think that I could be open about my relationship with anyone. At least anytime soon."

"Why wouldn't you expect me to like you?" Magnus asked frowning as he put the dry plate on the pile where the others were.

Alec shrugged. "I don't wanna sound too pathetic or like I somehow pity myself, but I've never really had very good friends, let alone boyfriends, or people who were somehow interested in me. And you just kinda seemed like someone.. Very interesting. I thought you had enough people admiring you for you to really notice me, especially when there's obviously nothing that noticable about me."

"You're the most ridiculous, blind, idiot that I have ever met." Magnus said and Alec glanced at him over his shoulder.

"Thanks."

"No, I really mean it." Magnus said and Alec turned to him, once again dripping water on the floor from the glass in his hand but didn't seem to notice it.

"Well.. Thank you?" He said, looking confused. "Or should I get offended? Or..?"

Magnus rolled his eyes and took the glass from him, washing it clean from the soap under the tap and then starting to dry it. "Let me explain. I-..."

"Damn, I can't wait to hear why I'm such a ridiculous, blind, idiot." Alec said with a sarcastic tone, setting his hands on his hips and Magnus grinned at his pose.